Clearing the jungle for a garden and pond

Reaction score
Here is what it looked like when we got here..

paamultrip074_zps1ebb69f7.jpg

From the upper deck..

paamultrip075_zps128d9138.jpg

Ricardo cleared it with a machete and is now picking up the millions of pieces of coral from the size of a pebble to huge..

trailermovepaamul004_zps8f325e9a.jpg

This will be an ongoing post.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you are gonna have a pond eh? I wonder how hard the ground is w/ all that coral everywhere. Guess you won't be able to put fish in it tho w/ all those creatures coming to visit unless you post out guards w/ guns all night and day.Maybe you will just have a wild life pond and let whatever comes for a visit enjoy it? It sure would look nice to have one among all those lovely palms and a waterfall would add such wonderful sound. They do have frogs there I imagine. Do people have dogs and cats there and oh what about horses? Oh I think you need a big huge parrot Bullfrog! Now are you gonna do the work or is Ricardo gonna do it and you just supervise or is it going to be a team effort?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
if it to hard to go down go up.
Your location is crazy great

Reaction score
As this was once the sea bed, some of the coral is attached, larger than a car so I'll have to go around some. Lots of dogs and cats here, a neighbor saw a jaguarundi

jaguarundi_zps0977571c.jpg

Chasing on of these through my back yard. I forget what it's called but it's like a half rabbit half squirrel..

rabbitsquirrel_zpse28f7013.jpg

As far as the pond, I'll make it three feet deep to try to keep the coatimundis out of it, but they love water...

coatimundi-1_zpsad5a2343.jpg

Ricardo has served us well, but Monday he must go. He is getting attached to us as we are him and I can't afford to adopt a 38 year old who smokes and drinks. I'll pay him well and take him to a bus station as Chiapas is 12 hours away, the rest is up to him.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cute critters but mischievous and hungry for fish! Hope you can dig through that soil down 3ft for your new pond :goodnight:
Wishing Ricardo safe traveling and a good life wherever he ends up. Did you say he was headed home to his family?

Reaction score
I noticed Ricardo was working extra hard yesterday, he moved a lot of coral one 5 gallon bucket at a time. This morning he appeared very sad and told Bette he missed his home and mother. I paid him well, tears came to his eyes and he hugged me. We took him to Cancun and he got off near the bus station, promising to return in quatro cinco dias. We have been with him for 6 days and nights, he ate with us, drank beer and tequila with us and slept on the upper deck on an air mattress but this was a lot softer than the pavement he was sleeping on when we found him. I'd ask him if he wanted another beer (una mas?) and he would say, "Hasta bien" We taught him to say, "I'm gooood" We shared a lot of laughs, learned from him he learned from us, we prayed together before every and will really miss him.

Oh there were good times...

palapa006_zpsc8ce7d08.jpg

Very good times....

100_0881_zps97b5da24.jpg

Reaction score
He was a good man, an honest and honorable man and a very hard worker....

paamultrip072_zps141796f9.jpg

He was fascinated by our talking GPS so I introduced him to another American tool, the "grabber" to save his back....

trailermovepaamul003_zps53d0b271.jpg

I looked 10 minutes later and he was back on his knees, scraping up the coral with his hands, the grabber was too slow,,,

trailermovepaamul004_zps8f325e9a.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sad to see a good friend leave but you say he will be back in what is that 45 days? Not so good on my Spanish. You treated him kindly and he will never forget. He's a good worker for sure! His mother will be glad to see him :razz:

Reaction score
Here is the before...

paamultrip076_zpsc8e25e40.jpg

And here is after Ricardo cleared it...

cancun006_zps479c5978.jpg

And this little guy was walking through our palapa this evening....

cancun011_zps419d9003.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like some kind of a crab. I have a feeling you are going to meet all kinds of creatures coming by to meet ya :razz:

Reaction score
That little guy is a Hermit Crab

https://www.google.com/search?q=her...=chrome.0.0l3j5.4726&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We also have larger fiddler crabs in the jungle that burrow down into the dead undergrowth and soil. They have one pincer larger than the other. We also have a LOT of Yucatan Jays that are quite beautiful

https://www.google.com/search?q=yuc...AGL2ICYBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

And this extremely loud, ugly bird is the Chachalaca bird, I had it and the jay confused...https://www.google.com/search?q=yuc...540,d.aWM&fp=b73a0be1c4996ae&biw=1280&bih=685

The call is a loud, raucous RAW-pa-haw or cha-cha-LAW-ka, often by several birds in a rhythmical chorus, especially in early morning and evening, usually from well up in trees. It also produces peeping whistles and cackles. Others describe chachalaca calls as irritating noises mimicking a bunch of arguing women.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well those are the kind they sell in the pet stores and they are cute. I think my sister had a few of those awhile back and she would have to supply new shells for them to move into when they got too big for the old ones. I believe this is what she did anyways.

That ChaCha bird is quite pretty. I suppose you just have to either like all the jungle noises that come w/ your new home or you have very good ear plugs! It is a very pretty bird. Arguing women eh?..................... That I can imagine :LOL:

Ask a Question