Clearing the jungle (my backyard)

Reaction score
Well, we are still alive. I don't know if you remember what our back yard looked like when we got here, but here it was..

paamultrip074_zps1ebb69f7.jpg

Too many coconut trees means too much shade. When you are butted up against the jungle, this means mosquitoes, a lot of them.

The view from the upper deck...

paamultrip075_zps128d9138.jpg

While the jungle was being pushed back 3 meters, we were leaving our mark...

yonten2049_zpsb6ce2756.jpg

yonten2048_zps926d7163.jpg

Then we salvaged 2 Agave's from a trash pile..

agave001_zpsfc714368.jpg

Scrounged nice driftwood from the beach..

driftwood2006_zps97f44b93.jpg

Of course we took time out to get matching tattoos..

tattoo019_zpsc445cb8f.jpg

To be continued.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lots of work and the jungle will return!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are doing good there Bullfrog and keep on pushing through to the other side................the work is never done. Did you just like the look of the new tatoo's or is there a meaning behind the choice?

Reaction score
j.w said:
You are doing good there Bullfrog and keep on pushing through to the other side................the work is never done. Did you just like the look of the new tatoo's or is there a meaning behind the choice?
We wanted a tattoo as a symbol of our commitment together. Bette always said she never had "the full circle" until we met. Love, trust, honesty and communication. We also wanted a cross as we are both Christians, so the Celtic cross worked out. Back to the yard..

Actually, everyone here covers their yard with gravel. This kills the weeds and bakes them. New seeds eventually get a purchase but you just stay on top of it so the jungle won’t reclaim your yard. These people work very hard and simply don’t throw things away. If a hoe breaks, they cut a new handle and fix it…

tanaco1037_zpsfbecf590.jpg

If they don’t have a hacksaw, they make one out of rebar..

hacksaw001_zpsc2ec0b61.jpg

Back to the yard. Oswaldo moved an entire dump truck load one wheel barrow at a time and scattered it. The yard is looking better already..

video1009_zps4f898d60.jpg

video1010_zpse44c841d.jpg

video1011_zpse384de74.jpg

video1013_zps5bee12eb.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You and Bette make a nice team together and you both seem very happy. It must be tons of fun living there and I bet every day is an adventure.
Your yard looks very nice and the people there are so hard working. Say hello to Oswaldo from me. We should be more like them here in our country. We are a throw away society here. I like your pathway you made. It turned out nice. What are those things laying on the table?
Is that little monkey still hanging around?

Reaction score
j.w said:
What are those things laying on the table?
Is that little monkey still hanging around?
Those are solar lights waiting to be put up once the gravel is cleared. The monkey is here, but he sure doesn't hang around our palapa any more since I went off on him.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh Bullfrog it's just a poor little monkey :cheerful:
Now what could a little thing like that do to drive you to chase him away.........................I can imagine it would be pretty much like in your book :claphands:

Reaction score
Well it's done, now we can start landscaping..

yard2008_zps81a5a7d6.jpg

yard2007_zpsc71770fd.jpg

yard2006_zps29f743ff.jpg

Spider Lillies grow wild here...

chachalaka1020_zps1a00552b.jpg

The flowers produce large seeds that grow really well here..

chachalaka1022_zpsb474a617.jpg

Actually the beach is very close, but Yan Ten is private and nice, the golf cart ride through the jungle is fun...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're have too much fun there Bullfrog! Nice ride through the jungle. Do you all maintain the roads there yourselves? Do you ever see any snakes or jaguars? So to get there most people prolly fly in I'm assuming. I see a lot of people living there and did they all have to drive like you did to get all their stuff there? How far can you travel and still be safe around there? I know I have so many questions :biggrinangelA:

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I dont want to hijack your thread, but I just saw your tattoo's and was like "hey, I bet the guys on the pond forum would like my newest tattoo"

I had my kids names on my leg already and he drew this koi to go right in between them tying it all together.

2013-07-19 15.52.48.jpg

Reaction score
Nice tat.

You do have to drive to bring your things, electronics such as computers and cameras are very expensive here, everything else is cheap. That "road" has no maintenance, it runs along the coast through the jungle. We have seen two crocodiles, coati mundis cross the road in entire groups of 20 or more, including very small young ones and we have 39 species of lizards here. My favorite gets about a foot long, has a crest on it's head and runs on it's back legs real fast.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just remember what you wrote about your drive there and wondered if any other people had problems doing so. Would be neat seeing all the different animals. Love lizards!

Ask a Question