clearing up my water.

Reaction score
I am new here and was wondering what to do if anyone has any answers. I have a 1200gal pond, 3000gph pump for waterfall/filter, and 500gph pump for 18watt uv light. the water is clear but all the dead algea is floating in the water. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, and welcome. I'm assuming your "location" is your zip code, which I looked up to be Ohio. Would it be possible for you to post as the city, locale, or as least plant zone? When we respond to questions, it's a big help if we know what part of the country you're in, since climates, etc. will differ from area to area, and where you live can have a bearing on the advice you'll receive.

Do you have a skimmer? Either that, or scoop it out with a net?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
werthy1 said:
I am new here and was wondering what to do if anyone has any answers. I have a 1200gal pond, 3000gph pump for waterfall/filter, and 500gph pump for 18watt uv light. the water is clear but all the dead algea is floating in the water. Is there a way to get rid of it?
You have a 1200 gallon pond and a 3000 gph pump going to the filter, could it be going to fast through the filter and falls? That was my issue early in the spring and I installed a ball valve to regulate how much water went through the falls and how much stayed in the pond as a fountain with a T fitting. The UV light should help too, are you cleaning your filters daily or at least a few times a week?

Reaction score
Yes turtleMommy I am in ohio, 43130. I dont have a skimmer, and I cant scoop it out as it is like a fine dust that is in there. It is the dead algae from my uv light that I am trying to get rid of that is floating all through out the water. was doing some reading on the internet since I posted and seen some people are saying use or make a sand filter. Going to try a 5gal bucket with pillow batting to trap the micro fine particles and see what that does.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I use a piece of scrap matala pad and put a fine mesh pad on top just below the first drop out of the filter-falls, Similar to batting material but what I use is easier for me to rinse out and re-use. take a few times but it works really well. A skimmer would really help clear this up too.

Reaction score
A product like AccuClear would also help. I'm sure someone wants to jump on me and say they won't use chemicals in their pond, but it isn't a chemical. It will make the fine particles cling to each other so they are "bigger", and can be filtered out more easily. It is a bit pricey though.

Reaction score
Don't resist the use of quilt batting LoL! It sounds simple...and it is! I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. If you can rig up something to hold a section of quilt batting in place in front of or near your skimmer, the flow of water will pull in the fine algae and trap it. Even with a small piece my 2400gal pond was clear in a few days/week.

Here is what I'm doing now, and just lay in a piece of quilt batting when needed. The flow of water holds the batting against the back of the milk crate. I've taken the water lettuce out and using just hyacinths now but you can see the strip of batting: http://www.flickr.com/photos/95980543@N05/9162522214/

Reaction score
TekWarren said:
Don't resist the use of quilt batting LoL! It sounds simple...and it is! I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. If you can rig up something to hold a section of quilt batting in place in front of or near your skimmer, the flow of water will pull in the fine algae and trap it. Even with a small piece my 2400gal pond was clear in a few days/week.

Here is what I'm doing now, and just lay in a piece of quilt batting when needed. The flow of water holds the batting against the back of the milk crate. I've taken the water lettuce out and using just hyacinths now but you can see the strip of batting: http://www.flickr.com/photos/95980543@N05/9162522214/
I second the use of quilt batting! It's on sale at Joann's for 50% off at the moment. I've been using a tall kitchen trashcan. It is messy to clean up so I may try some sort of filter pad in my skimmer once the big cleanup is finished. (if it's ever finished)

TekWarren - Your pond is gorgeous! I hope mine looks half as pretty once I get it landscaped next spring.

Reaction score
I can't take much credit for our pond area, we just bought the house late last fall. My wife and I love it so much and are working hard to maintain all the work the previous owner put into it and I think we doing well so far. The previous owner was an older retired couple and the gentleman loved his yard. He started to slow down on things so we have had/are putting a lot of TLC into it and plan to change some things but you can really tell he loved his yard and gardens.

Thank you for the compliments! -Now back to your regularly scheduled forum topic ;)

Reaction score
I concur batting will do it, may take a bit longer if you have lots of suspended algae but it works and you can put a mesh basket with batting under your falls,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put the reusable furnace filter on top of quilt batting it picks up the heavy stuff and quilt batting picks up the fine stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52129]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The other thing you could use is something like Pond Care Algae Cure which has act natural Flocculent.
A flocculent attracts and binds een the finest algae cells to it clearing the pond as the filters take up the dead algae cells.
As long as the treatmnt has a flocculent to bind stuff it should work.
Does anyone recall using Accu clear in their fish tanks well that acts in the same way.
Sadly they dont to Accu clear in pond sized bottles .

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Ideally one would use the filter floss as the last filter between the existing mechanical and the bio or even after the bio filter. But most of us are not setup to do that.

I used to use a coconut husk swamp cooler mat on top of the batting. It helps hold them in place. I may try an aspen cooler mat today.

I was wondering how people are cleaning them. I layout the dirty batting on expanded metal garden cart floor and spray it with the garden hose. Rinsing them in a bucket will distort the batting.

41jk3UfjhLL._SL400_.jpg

Ask a Question