clogging pump

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wonder if anyone can help or offer any advice.
My pond is 7x5 built around 20 years ago and has koi of various sizes and colours, and a couple of plants. I have a pump, filter and ultra violet clarifier which feeds through a water feature.
The water is crystal clear, the fish are all eating well and are healthy, I checked the ph levels of the water last week and all is fine. My problem is that the pump is constantly clogging with dark green weed like material. Not 24 hours goes by that I do not have to clear it. I have tried lifting the pump off of the bottom of the pond, but this makes not difference. The material pulls itself into the rotor of the pump and wraps itself around the outer cage, which in turn stops the pump from working.
I'd be grateful for any help or advice. Many thanks

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
hello and welcome to the forum. Have you tried a universal pump filter box? Big box comes with a couple filter pads and some bio balls, lid pops off and the hose to the pump goes through a hold in the lid and filter pads.

http://thepondboss.net/product/universal-pump-filter-box/

I have my UV filter zip tied to the lid and 2 pumps in it; using rocks to weight it down with ceramic media in bags and carbon in a sock. It's a pain to clean only because of my configuration. It's basically Frankenstein.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae and probably the one thing that is keeping your fish alive and your water clear .Over feeding the fish feeds the algae also .Pond may also be to small for koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
u need to see why u have alot of algae , may b add other pond plants to share the nuritions , other thing u can do DIY is some thing like mesh box with large surface area that will only increase ur clogging time to a week or 2 but will not be permanent solution .if u install prefilter with foam that will clog even quicker then mesh .

upload_2017-8-29_2-57-48.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum :)

You're already getting good advice, but I'd like to add, that it's not a good idea to have your pump on the bottom of the pond, because if ahose or pipe breaks, it can pump your pond dry.

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wonder if anyone can help or offer any advice.
My pond is 7x5 built around 20 years ago and has koi of various sizes and colours, and a couple of plants. I have a pump, filter and ultra violet clarifier which feeds through a water feature.
The water is crystal clear, the fish are all eating well and are healthy, I checked the ph levels of the water last week and all is fine. My problem is that the pump is constantly clogging with dark green weed like material. Not 24 hours goes by that I do not have to clear it. I have tried lifting the pump off of the bottom of the pond, but this makes not difference. The material pulls itself into the rotor of the pump and wraps itself around the outer cage, which in turn stops the pump from working.
I'd be grateful for any help or advice. Many thanks

Thanks so much for the link, I will certainly look into this.

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum :)

You're already getting good advice, but I'd like to add, that it's not a good idea to have your pump on the bottom of the pond, because if ahose or pipe breaks, it can pump your pond dry.

Thank you, that is a good point that I will bear in mind.

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
u need to see why u have alot of algae , may b add other pond plants to share the nuritions , other thing u can do DIY is some thing like mesh box with large surface area that will only increase ur clogging time to a week or 2 but will not be permanent solution .if u install prefilter with foam that will clog even quicker then mesh .

View attachment 103768

The mesh box idea seems to be a popular idea, so I will give it a try, thank you.

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many fish? Average depth of pond? Have you tested for Nitrate?

Yes the nitrate levels are normal, we have around 15 fish, a couple of them are quite large, the rest are a variety of sizes most have been born in the pond.

CKM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
algae and probably the one thing that is keeping your fish alive and your water clear .Over feeding the fish feeds the algae also .Pond may also be to small for koi

I am really strict about how much the fish are fed - someone once told me A hungry fish is a healthy fish!

Ask a Question