Closed up my Whiskey barrel water garde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Emptied out the water and found 2 frogs. Moved them to a smaller sunnier tiny pond in back of the garage. Hopefully they figure out to hibernate. Put smaller water lettuce in a bowl with a few rescued snails. Has now been down to 30's at night here in upstate NY

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@MaryP - those frogs will figure it out just fine. I always figure - they found my pond in the first place, so they know what they're doing!

We're seeing nights in the 30s here too in Northern IL - too soon, Mother Nature... too soon!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our frogs are still active. I am thrilled to have some left after the snake invasion. Pond water 58f

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, we have a small fountain pot water feature up by our garage that, over the late summer, we saw a couple of small frogs hanging out in (they must have 'migrated' out of & uphill from the main pond)
fountain pot frog 02+.jpg

When we cleaned it out & closed it up for the season a couple of weeks ago, we found not one or two - but THREE little frogs in residence. They were all relocated back to the main pond. Sorry, froggies. You've got to go back home & live with your parents again (at least until Spring!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Frogs are outstanding survivors during the winter months. Two days ago I put on my net to block leaves, etc from clogging up the pond. The next day there were 7 frogs on the net, 4 bull frogs and 3 leopard frogs, I thought I only had 3. They panicked and were bouncing all over trying to get into the water, I ended up lifting up the net making an entry point. They all found their way back in. Every spring frogs are back hanging out with the fish. Their biggest problem are snakes not the weather. Good luck

Ask a Question