closing down pond

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i know there have already been loads of post about this subject ..but didnt want to hijack anyones thread i was woundering after the fish stop feeding do you leave it before you stop the pump ? because i got to thinking it would be a while before the filter cleaned the amonia the fish had made ..am i thinking right or completley wrong ?

Reaction score
if the filter's large enough then water that passes through it will have all of the ammonia removed before it returns to the pond. If fish are nolonger creating ammonia from being fed food then turning over your pond once through the filter should remove the ammonia from the water.

I'm not feeding my fish but I'm still running the pump until it get's much colder. I only want to shut down the pump when it's approaching 0c (water freezing). Then I plan on pulling out the filter and turn off the pump.

I plan on leaving the pump in the pond at the bottom.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
stroppy if you pull your pump out.. store it in a lidded bucket of water. so your seals and bushing dont dry out. i do this and cut a small X cut in the lid for the cord to exit the bucket; and its not a bad idea to run the pump in the bucket once a month for a minute or two.and as far as filtration..your bacteria is all but dead when your water is near freezing so the filter isnt functioning biologically anyways.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thankyou both :)
still feeding fish at the moment as quite warm here about 60s most days but cooling down a bit at night, so feeding them later in the morning but they are still going mad for food ... worried some of my little ones wont make it as they are still so tiny less than an inch, but will have to see i guess ..

Ask a Question