Closing one of my koi ponds

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Because of the last couple of years of heavy rains, we now have structural damage to one of our raised ponds. The 10x10x5.5 pond was built in 2010. 2x12 pressure treated boards, 4x4 posts every2 1/2'. There was a LOT of digging as our entire yard is on a slope. Luckily, all the digging got done before hubby slipped and fell and destroyed his right shoulder. That left me do do everything else, post holes, bolting boards up and installing a 25x25 liner.
005.JPG
006.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Both our ponds are partially above ground but this one was 90%. No access for heavy equipment and too far from the driveway to use block and cement. Figured it would last a lot longer but the runoff from the heavy rain has cause the posts to move and the sides are now bowed out and bolts are starting to pull thru the lumber so time to lower the water level by at least half. Unfortunately, 7 large adult koi and 5- 2 year olds call this pond home. Found someone who has a number of large farm ponds that was looking to get large koi so my babies will be going to their new home tomorrow.
Water level dropped this morning and in I climbed! water was a bit cold but the coating of algae on the bottom was like walking on carpet. Managed to capture the 5 small ones and the smallest adult and move them to a 300 gallon stock tank in the drive way. Tomorrow I will be on my own to move the remaining adults up. Going to try using a pillow case as I don't even have a net big enough for this! I am using my koi trap but these guys are smart. They avoid that strange looking box until they get chased into it by the net.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 99

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
sad to see you closing the pond, but best of luck to you catching all of them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Let me know how the pillow case works out. One thing I had trouble with was keeping the pillow case opening open, while trying to guide the koi in with my other had. If you could corral the koi into a floating tub / kiddie pool.....I think it would be easier to work with the pillow case. You might be able to hold the tub against the side of the pond with your body, freeing both hands to guide the koi into the pillow case....just a thought.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you luck. Sad to say good bye to your finned friends you've had a long time :(

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once I get them in the trap which is 2x2, it should be easy???? Problem is I will be in a deep pond and have to climb out, water currently at about 24". Will post updates!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good luck & be careful!! You don't want to hurt the fish - but you also don't want to hurt *yourself*!

On the other hand... you might want to get the video camera rolling to record for posterity (or perhaps a $10,000 prize) the event? :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ya, glad hubby didn't think to record me getting in and out of pond today. Tomorrow will be using 6' ladder! Should still be fun while hanging on to a 20-30lb koi!
I actually have a picture of me in my waders when the pond was emptied and a cute picture of hubby wearing my rain boots helping out :) Haven't had the nerve to post them yet - LOL!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I actually have a picture of me in my waders when the pond was emptied and a cute picture of hubby wearing my rain boots helping out :) Haven't had the nerve to post them yet - LOL!
We wanna see!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got Cow and White Tip up and in 300 gal tank. Only 4 more to go! Using a high thread count pillowcase with the end cut open to carry them up to the tank. So far so good. Going to wait a few hours to move the last of them. I need to dry off and warm up. Using an ammonia reducer in the tanks and have filters running.

Ask a Question