Cloudy green water

Reaction score
Country
United States
about five or six weeks ago water was so cloudy one could not see white stones in shallow part , about 8'' deep . finally cleared that up after about ten days and water became the usual CRYSTAL CLEAR . about two weeks ago water clouded up again not as badly but it has stayed that way in spite of my attempts to clear it . frustrating thing is that this is first year we have left our heron repelling net off and end up with the unpleasant water . by the way , we had 17 fish when it clouded first time and when it cleared we had ten . i hope i'm alone with lousy water quality because it is annoying . . . .peace . . . ps . we used to be on '' pond forum'' but it has disappeared , so here i am .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine has done something similar in the last couple of days. The only thing different in my situation is that the temperatures have gone up a lot! We had a few weeks where the highs were in the upper-mid 80s. This week it's consistently been up in the 90s. I think the algae is going through an extra happy burst of growth. (And, I will confess, I'd been feeding the fish a bit more than I had, also.) I'm going to stop feeding them and see what happens. They all rip and tear at the algae like little monsters, so I know there is more than enough for them to eat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so i finally have clear water once again . as i said when i started this thread the first time i got water cleared our 17 fish were down to ten . this time when water cleared we had gone from ten down to FOUR . i've seen no dead fish in pond or yard and have to admit i'm curious both about what happened to them and how a predator ever saw them to catch , assuming that is what happened . the first time the water was so dirty i could not see my hand a few inches under the surface . . . peace

Ask a Question