CLOUDY POND WATER - HELP!!

Reaction score
Hi - Due to a coating of brown algae about a month ago we removed all the fish (Koi) and plants and thoroughly scrubbed the pond line. We checked the PH, etc. and adjusted as necessary....We put the plants back in but not the fish. At this time the water was as clear as could be...

About a week ago the water started getting cloudy and greenish brown.(see photos).

Before we put fish in we would like correct this problem.

P1030479.JPG

Attachments

• P1030481.JPG
    P1030481.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 285

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cleaning the liner was a big mistake sorry to say .There is no good bacteria any more .I just rebuilt my pond and first thing I did was save as much of my old pond water as I could and even rocks with good muck on them .I then refilled my pond after new liner was put in and added bacteria and then put quilt batting in my filters and then added an aerator and my mucky rocks .No plants no fish and they were last to go in .My pond new since March

Attachments

• pond -rocks 2014 029.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 029.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 363
  • pond -rocks 2014 031.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 031.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is not an answer to your question, but rather a comment. I've never seen a yellow liner before, aI honestly didn't know they came in colors.

I do agree about scrubbing the liner. You may need to purchase some beneficial bacteria to "jump start" your filters. If you water parameters are good, you should probably also consider putting some fish in, to begin cycling the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wondered about the color of the liner myself but thought maybe it was just the was the pic came out .I was also wondering how deep it is and if the liner can be exposed to sunlight like that .Off to the right in pic I noticed your waterfall and for some reason I see yellow green water coming down it ,or is it only me noticing it

Reaction score
This is not an answer to your question, but rather a comment. I've never seen a yellow liner before, aI honestly didn't know they came in colors.

I do agree about scrubbing the liner. You may need to purchase some beneficial bacteria to "jump start" your filters. If you water parameters are good, you should probably also consider putting some fish in, to begin cycling the pond.
Hi Tula...Thanks for the input.
Where can I get some beneficial bacteria? Will putting in fish help clear up the water?

Pete

Reaction score
I wondered about the color of the liner myself but thought maybe it was just the was the pic came out .I was also wondering how deep it is and if the liner can be exposed to sunlight like that .Off to the right in pic I noticed your waterfall and for some reason I see yellow green water coming down it ,or is it only me noticing it
Hi Sissy - Liner was in pond when we bought the house last year. I think the rocks are a yellow green color. The water appears fairly clear.
Pete

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, having fish in your pond will help. I used to think that Microbelift, provided beneficial bacteria and I used it in my brand new pond. I've since learned there are "live" forms of beneficial bacteria...think they have a short shelf life.....not sure where you purchase them.

If your water perimeters are good, I see no harm in putting the fish back in the pond, the plants will help and try some Microbelift.

If your original concern was algae, do you have a UV light and what type of filtration do you have?

Reaction score
Yes, having fish in your pond will help. I used to think that Microbelift, provided beneficial bacteria and I used it in my brand new pond. I've since learned there are "live" forms of beneficial bacteria...think they have a short shelf life.....not sure where you purchase them.

If your water perimeters are good, I see no harm in putting the fish back in the pond, the plants will help and try some Microbelift.

If your original concern was algae, do you have a UV light and what type of filtration do you have?

Hi Tula - Do know Where I can get Microbelift?
I don't have a UV light.
My filter is through a Tetra Pond Waterfall filter which has a filter pad and a mesh bad which has lava rocks in it which is suppose to encourage bacteria growth.

Ask a Question