Cloudy Pond Water

Reaction score
Hi, my wife and I have just installed a pond in our garden. It was a preformed pond liner that was clean before the water went in and we have a all in one, pump, filter, UV light.

My wife wanted to add some stones to make the pond more interseting to which we did, we added some white stones to the bottom and one of the ledges. The issue in doing this though is that the water has now turned cloudy.

Am i resigned to haveing to remove all the water and stones and start again, or is there anything that can be added to make the water go clear again? Once the pond is eclimatised I'd like to add plants and fish so dont want to use anything that will kill those off.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Reaction score
Sounds like no fish yet...I'd pump out the water. Add a bit more water and stir the rocks, pump out, repeat until clear. Or remove the rocks and wash. The rock dust causing the cloudiness is hard on fish gills...like dust in our eyes. It will settle but better to get it out imo.

If you wanted to acclimatise the pond for fish you can add some ammonia from the drug store. That will feed ammonia and nitrite converting bacteria so they're ready to convert ammonia from the fish. After ammonia is added you test for ammonia and nitrite. You see ammonia go down and nitrite go up and then nitrite go down. When nitrite is zero you're ready for fish. Isn't a requirement, but if you wanted. Otherwise you might have to do some water changes initially or just let the fish tough it out. Some people add cheap fish just to produce ammonia and kill the fish when their job is done. Store bought ammonia serves the same purpose and is better karma.

Reaction score
Waterbug, thanks for your response, I was hoping that there was going to be some chemical reaction I could take advantage of, not to worry, best get the bucket out and start emptying.

I'll make sure the stones / rocks are washed throughily as dont want to go through it again.

Kind Regards

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember after the stones get covered in muck you will not really know how pretty they are ,

Reaction score
I was hoping that there was going to be some chemical reaction I could take advantage of
A flocculant would work. But it's a whole process and you need to be able to filter out the clumped matter, or the flocculant breaks down and you're back to square one. Draining and cleaning the rock is a lot easier imo.

Ask a Question