Cloudy water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I've just joined and would like some advice on new fish addition causing a cloudy water issue

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Paul 96
Patience on the cloudy water.
Beneficial bacteria can create this phenomenon for a short time but this will usually clear up on it’s own after a few weeks. Just hope you did not add too many fish to new pond water too soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many fish did you put in? and have you checked your water tests?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't explain properly sorry, I built the pond 2years ago and have a variety of fish, 2 sturgeon (approximately 16 inch),3 golden orfs (6 inch) 3 shebumkin (5 inch) 2 small koi (6 inch)all of these have been from start, small koi last year and water quality generally good, then added 2 larger koi (14inch)last week then the water got cloudy, my pond is a preformed type, 4 feet deep through out so I have just installed an airpump to help matters ,like i said this is my first time so all advice is welcome thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello Paul96. Had to do the conversion so your pond is between 700-800 gallons. I think you have exceeded the fish load for a pond that size! Most koi keepers will tell you you can get away with 1-2 koi in a pond under 1000 gallons but with the addition of 2 large koi, you may have pushed it too far. I'm sure your other fish have grown in the last 2 years. This is the one factor most people don't consider. A 6 inch koi can become a 24 inch koi very quickly. Can you return the 2 new fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I can
Hello Paul96. Had to do the conversion so your pond is between 700-800 gallons. I think you have exceeded the fish load for a pond that size! Most koi keepers will tell you you can get away with 1-2 koi in a pond under 1000 gallons but with the addition of 2 large koi, you may have pushed it too far. I'm sure your other fish have grown in the last 2 years. This is the one factor most people don't consider. A 6 inch koi can become a 24 inch koi very quickly. Can you return the 2 new fish?
Yes I can return, all the fish mentioned are current size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I can

Yes I can return, all the fish mentioned are current size?
I understand what your saying ,just thought that with the other fish being smaller it would be ok thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to do some research regarding sturgeon. I understand they have certain requirements to keep them successfully. Don't have them in Maryland! Stay in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shall do ,they seem very healthy at 2 years old I got them as baby's ,I'll keep you posted thanks for your comments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Paul, I have changed the title of this topic to "Cloudy water issue" so that people know what it is about :)

Reaction score
If your pond is between 700 and 800 gallons I wouldn't put more than 4 fish in it. Too many fish means that you have to feed them more which means more waste and more water problems.

Ask a Question