Cloudy water !!

Reaction score
About a month ago I noticed pond water starting to turn greenish (pond is approx. 1,000 gallons. See photo.....
I made sure all debris (leaves, etc. had been removed prior.

I tried adding beneficial bacteria twice a few weeks ago but no change...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

p.s. I live in North Carolina.

Attachments

• IMG_20150414_090415.jpg
    IMG_20150414_090415.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 248

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
About a month ago I noticed pond water starting to turn greenish (pond is approx. 1,000 gallons. See photo.....
I made sure all debris (leaves, etc. had been removed prior.

I tried adding beneficial bacteria twice a few weeks ago but no change...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

p.s. I live in North Carolina.
Do you have plants in the pond?
Do you have any aeration?
How many fish? What size?
Pump flow rate (GPH)?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be as simple as the start up of the pond and bacteria added and I use koi clay .I turn off the pumps and pour a cup down the middle of the pond and wait a half hour and then turn pumps back on .It will be cloudy but koi clay helps the green stuff bind together to be removed and then bacteria to get the pond started .Remember for bacteria to live water needs to be above 50 degrees .It is just a waiting game this time of year .My pond has no plants in it except in the waterfall and filters and they are just starting to grow here .Plus how much are you feeding your fish and what size are your fish

Reaction score
It could be as simple as the start up of the pond and bacteria added and I use koi clay .I turn off the pumps and pour a cup down the middle of the pond and wait a half hour and then turn pumps back on .It will be cloudy but koi clay helps the green stuff bind together to be removed and then bacteria to get the pond started .Remember for bacteria to live water needs to be above 50 degrees .It is just a waiting game this time of year .My pond has no plants in it except in the waterfall and filters and they are just starting to grow here .Plus how much are you feeding your fish and what size are your fish

Thanks for the great information Sissy. I'm pretty sure water temperature is not 50 yet, but I'll check it.

Where can I get Koi Clay?

Pete

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get some off ebay and you can get it from dr foster and smith and I get it sometimes from the guy who sells me the activated charcoal ,but he runs out fast .I buy it 5 lbs at a time ,it goes fast because I also put it in there food and let it dry coat the food

Reaction score
I get some off ebay and you can get it from dr foster and smith and I get it sometimes from the guy who sells me the activated charcoal ,but he runs out fast .I buy it 5 lbs at a time ,it goes fast because I also put it in there food and let it dry coat the food

Would 5 lbs be enough for my 1000 gallon pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It should for a year or more .I put 1 cup across my pond come spring and then some in there food and then add 5 tablespoons a week and I have a 5000 gallon pond .I also add one cup in the pond just before winter .As long as you keep it dry it lasts .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen some use pure clay kitty litter but to me it is ok for plants but it takes longer to clear up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@sissy I had a big smile on my face when I heard your name on one of the latest episodes - it was a good question, too.

I've used koi clay for four years now in our pond and swear by the stuff. Our fish LOVE it and our water just sparkles after we add koi clay.

One way that I use it is to mix a cup or so into a couple of gallons of water so it dissolves into a slurry and stream that into the pond. If there's even the slightest wind you'll get the dry stuff right back in your face so adding it to water first will prevent that. I also like to mix a tablespoon or so with water - enough to turn it into a clay ball - and toss that in the pond. The fish will eat it like it's candy. Sprinkling it over the dry food is another great way to introduce it into your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I love the idea of a clay ball Lisa think we'll try that one out ourselves later in the season mind in saying that we have a pond temperature 13c at the moment it wont be too long before the covers come off :happy:

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
.Remember for bacteria to live water needs to be above 50 degrees

Not intending to ruffle any feathers here, but bacteria do not die until the water temps reach 0C/32F. For some (autotrophs) the growth rate is gradually slowed until 4C/39F is reached, below this point growth is essentially stopped but the bacteria remain alive, for others (heterotrophs) the growth rate is slowed for only some strains. The 'Cold Water Bacteria' offered by various manufacturers is composed of these hardy heterotrophic bacteria.

Ask a Question