Cold Pond

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by AnthonyRibis, Feb 8, 2015.

1. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

The snow from last week. Calling for another 8-12 by Tuesday morning. Can't wait for spring!

Attached Files:

AnthonyRibis, Feb 8, 2015
    callingcolleen1 and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

102_0268.JPG Summer Pond.jpg
    Spring Summer

AnthonyRibis, Feb 8, 2015
    sissy, callingcolleen1 and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. AnthonyRibis

haver79

Yikes! Do you run your falls in the winter?

haver79, Feb 8, 2015
  4. AnthonyRibis

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Waiting for spring here too! Nice job on the ponds Anthony!

callingcolleen1, Feb 8, 2015
  5. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

Yes I run my falls straight through winter. Its a straight fall so I don't run the risk of it icing up and diverting. I also have a little splash pool so it disturbs the water only on the surface.

AnthonyRibis, Feb 12, 2015
    haver79 likes this.
  6. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

What a cold spell! Highs have been mid teens overnight lows in the negatives. Was negative 9 this morning. Pond completely Froze over Saturday night/Sunday morning even with the waterfall flowing. Last year I always had an opening at the bottom of the falls. Might need one of them stock tank heaters? Hopefully the sunshine today will open it back up but its still only a high of 17.

AnthonyRibis, Feb 17, 2015
  7. AnthonyRibis

Tula

-14 here this morning and I can't see my pond, as there is snow resting on top of the net. My koi have never endured such a cold winter, so I'm worried. I have many koi fry, that I need to catch and re-home this Spring....perhaps Mother Nature will reduce their numbers....sounds kind of mean, sorry.

Tula, Feb 20, 2015
  8. AnthonyRibis

Use a good heater and keep a pumps running in front of heater to evenly heat whole pond and you should be fine. Worked for me for over two decades now and I have really big fish and a pond that is only 3 feet deep! They are now over 24 years old and have been outside in very extreme cold of minus 40 and below using this method. I do not have a water fall but the three connecting ponds have water ways that drop a few short inches.

callingcolleen1, Feb 20, 2015
    Tula likes this.
  9. AnthonyRibis

Tula

@callingcolleen1 , I'm recovering from surgery, so can't work on pond :( Also, my pumps are plumbed into my skimmer. I do have air stones going, under my pond de-icer...do you think that will be enough? I had a Pond Breather, but it was defective.

Tula, Feb 20, 2015
  10. AnthonyRibis

When it gets really cold and ice is thick, time to bring out big heater and air stone should be ok as long as the line does not freeze off. Just keep checking line when really cold.

callingcolleen1, Feb 21, 2015
    Tula likes this.
  11. AnthonyRibis

I think pond breather not strong enough to keep pond from freezing too hard during extreme cold. If pond is completely frozen over and ice is thicker than two or three inches, and if you have large fish load or big koi, you will need a big 1300 or 1500 deicer

callingcolleen1, Feb 21, 2015
  12. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

Colleen, what brand heater have you been using. I see mixed reviews online about all of them.

AnthonyRibis, Feb 25, 2015
  13. AnthonyRibis

Tula

Relieved to see into the pond a little today. Air stones still going and pond de-icer keeping an area open. I could only see a small area, but didn't see any dead fish. Feeling relieved.

Tula, Feb 25, 2015
    haver79 likes this.
  14. AnthonyRibis

AnthonyRibis

Finally able to get out and check the pond. Sinus infrection kicking my butt. My air stone froze up weeks ago. Finally found my de-icer it gets pushed up to the edge of the pond and then buried in snow. Despite the -9 real feel and 1 degree low today the pond remained open. Found a clump of leaves in the skimmer that I believe was slowing the flow down enough to allow it to freeze over. Suppose t get a warm up mid 20's, mid 30's and possible 40's next week. Will see...

AnthonyRibis, Feb 27, 2015
    Tula likes this.
  15. AnthonyRibis

teeemkay

I've had the de-icer plugged in for weeks right in front of the skimmer box--we just had one of the coldest Februarys ever here. The falls have been running all winter and have been fine... and the koi are doing fine. I would be happy if the temperature outside would warm up a little and start staying above 20 degrees...I could unplug that high-watt de-icer.

teeemkay, Mar 1, 2015
  16. AnthonyRibis

Dave 54

Are you aware that by running your water fall throughout the winter months you can in acctual fact super chill the pond and it is adviised by the experts that water falls should be shut down during the colder months to aviod this .

Dave

Dave 54, Mar 2, 2015
  17. AnthonyRibis

Lisak1

I wish Dave would include the word "some" in that advice - "it is advised by SOME experts". Other "experts" will tell you that there is absolutely no chance you will "super chill" or "super cool" your pond by running your falls all winter. There is some risk in running your falls of course - ice diverting the water is the obvious one. But we run our falls all winter in temperatures that get well below zero for many days - if not weeks - and our fish not only survive, they thrive in our winter pond. So this is one area where you will find some dissenting opinions in the pond world.

Lisak1, Mar 2, 2015
  18. AnthonyRibis

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

It heavily depends on the location of the pump intake(s).

Meyer Jordan, Mar 2, 2015
  19. AnthonyRibis

Lisak1

Agreed! Pond construction variations is key to so many issues that create differing opinions in the pond world. People think "this worked in MY pond" or "that didn't work in MY pond" and so it must be a universal truth. First start with "how is my pond built" and work out the issues from there. If I had an external pump, I would be way more concerned about my pump and lines freezing than I would be about super cooling my pond. If I had a pump in the bottom of my pond I would be concerned that I was drawing warmer water from the bottom and replacing it with cooler water from the top. That might create a problem.

Lisak1, Mar 2, 2015
  20. AnthonyRibis

Sunshine

I have a thought (since I'm far from an expert). When I ran my falls, there was a sheet of ice with the water running behind it. Wouldn't the same principal that ice and snow on top of your pond act like an insulator apply here? The water wouldn't be air temp obviously or it would be frozen. It's running behind the ice. I would think people that use air stones would be more at risk of cooling the water since you are drawing air temp and adding it to the warmer water. Thoughts?

Sunshine, Mar 2, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question