Cold weather and Fancy Goldfish

rdk

Reaction score
What is the real deal about keeping fancy goldfish in a very cold pond in the winter. Let me know. Please RDK

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Make sure it is deep enough so it does not freeze to the bottom. An opening is desireable, I have heard many ways over the years, some as simple as a soccar ball and as elaborate as heaters. We have plenty of cold weather folks here that should be itching to add to this...

rdk

Reaction score
Dr. Dave: I am thinking about this Spring to add a large Fancy to my pond. However I don't want to do this if one is in special danger from real cold weather. As always I have strong air pump plus floating de-icer on the pond at all times for our Ct. Winters. RDK

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
shakaho said:
I have no experience with this, but what I hear is that fancies cannot tolerate the cold.

I have heard the same thing about fancies. Koi and gold fish in general are carp. They have a natural tolerance to iced over ponds and lakes, and harsh winters. The fancies are a bit more hybred, and it might be best to house them indoors for any winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Petsmart told me the same thing about fancies. He said shubunkins, goldies would be best for our pond. I won't be heating it or bringing them inside.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm not recommending that you do what I did the last two winters, but I used a 300 watt submersible aquarium heater in my skimmer/pre-filter next to the intake of the water pump. The last two winters I had no ice on my pond. Even on those nights when the temps dropped down into the teens, the water temps stayed just above freezing. Bear in mind, my pond is only 365 gallons.:cold:

Reaction score
You can keep Fantail(fancy goldfish) in your pond in the winter,if you put plastic over your pond. I have a friend that does,i think she has done that for the last two years.

Reaction score
Hey rdk I live in Oklahoma and all 6 of my fancies survived 3 winters just fine and we had blizzards last winter no cover on my pond just a net.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice to hear from someone that did it...........maybe i will get a few fancies next summer
or at least some kind of lil fish

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
rdk said:
What is the real deal about keeping fancy goldfish in a very cold pond in the winter. Let me know. Please RDK
no fancy will take cold water like there cousins the comets or commons,koi,or shubunkins.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
I've got a couple in my pond, we'll ee this winter.
dude your in a zone where it doesn't get frigid cold,you need sometimes to just stop posting.I've been breeding goldfish since the early 80's ,so I speak on experience,you just speak AIR

Ask a Question