Collecting rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All,

I was persuaded to go with a liner pond, so I'm spending the next few days grabbing free rocks off Craigslist. I got a nice haul today.

The rocks in the picture line about an 11-foot wall. The green shoe (size 10) is there for reference.

I'll be picking up more today if possible. I know this might be unanswerable, but how much do I need for a 12-foot long oval pond? (Tentative plan.) Twice, three, four times the amount I have now?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 351

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
is the shoe a test .We know our rocks on here and not a shape or color I have ever seen :);):LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
what will be width?
it depends how u will set them later on , if for edges only aprox i wud get 2 more sets of these that u showed minimum , plus some extra . uil have almost 2 to 3 rows of rocks on the border , larger rocks will b one needed , plus waterfall and u may need for shelves inside pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
what will be width?
it depends how u will set them later on , if for edges only aprox i wud get 2 more sets of these that u showed minimum , plus some extra . uil have almost 2 to 3 rows of rocks on the border , larger rocks will b one needed , plus waterfall and u may need for shelves inside pond .

Thanks all! This really helps. One load fits into a 60-gallon stock tank that's 2 feet deep by 5(?) feet long.

I decided to taper the pond at one end kind of like the shape of a pork chop/Oklahoma, so 5 feet wide at the narrowest and about 10 feet wide at the widest. That's the current plan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanks all! This really helps. One load fits into a 60-gallon stock tank that's 2 feet deep by 5(?) feet long.

I decided to taper the pond at one end kind of like the shape of a pork chop/Oklahoma, so 5 feet wide at the narrowest and about 10 feet wide at the widest. That's the current plan.
u can start ur project with these rocks too and as u progress u can add more . uil get the idea how much uil need too but believe me its more then we expect some how .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked up a second load from someone else just now. (Bigger boulders.) I plan to go back at least twice Sunday to the person who supplied the first load in the picture. They have a pretty wide range of flat and round stones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One car load (top) vs four car loads (bottom) of rocks transported in a 4-foot long, 2-feet deep, 60-gallon stock tank (and 1 5-gallon bucket).

Whew! I think I'll just stick with this and see how it goes when I dig and line my pond. That's probably 1-2 weekends away yet. I don't plan to have a rock bottom or to install rocks on all of the shelves.

Thanks for all of the help.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 229

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have to laugh a little as I can see that you are putting them in a garage or carport .I promise none of us will come steal them :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're in the garage because it was the easiest, quickest and least painful way of unloading them, and happens to be 6 feet out the door to the pond site. My pond hasn't been dug, much less lined, and I'm not going to keep a pile of rocks on my lawn killing the grass, or, on the pond site getting in the way.

Ask a Question