Collecting rocks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you have a pond, you always need extra rocks... and stones... and gravel! I have half a big trash can full of river rock and two small cans full of pea gravel, because YOU NEVER KNOW!

I wish I could remember how many tons of rock went into building our pond. I just know it seemed like we would never be done hauling rocks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I feel so lucky, first because there's an abandoned quarry about 10 miles from here with nice slate like flat slabs. But... Especially because a neighbor collected a huge pile of large pieces of pumice back in the early 70's. When he passed away, his son sold me the whole pile, about 200 cubic feet of it, mostly basketball sized to 2x that size. It is so nice to do landscaping with boulders weighing 30 pounds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
After my fourth and last load, I said to myself, "I'll make this work!" Whew. I'll definitely get more if I need them after I install my pond.

I'll make sure to tell everyone who steps foot in my yard that I moved every one of those danged rocks three times -- from a stranger's yard to my car, from car to garage and from garage to pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To do my front hill I got 5 truckloads of rocks and placed them all and before that 2 truckloads to do the ditch down the side of the driveway .The driveway is just over 30 ft long ,no fun .I hated rocks for awhile
101_0193.JPG
101_0200.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is to keep the hill stable and for along side the driveway it is for run off .I did not want to put plants on the whole hill and have to mulch them .The front of the property is over 300 feet wide and mulching it would have been a pain .It was cheaper for rock and I laid everyone of them .The driver just dumped them on the side of the road and I walked up the hill and placed them .My sloped front yard was a nightmare .In 2004 I had dirt and a house ,no trees no grass no nothing .The lots had been cleared by the developer long before I bought it .I bought 3 lots .When I bought there was only 6 houses on 3 miles of road not including 3 side roads .Where no houses were .

Ask a Question