Color Change and Strange Circles

Reaction score
Yesterday I checked on Bullet (my 5 year old Orange Matsuba) and noticed that he is substantially paler (almost a yellow shade with some blotching) and has a strange circle patter on his head...no kidding...it spells out "PO" . Probably coincidence but it's like he is spelling it out for us :razz: , he is PO'd!

Joking aside, I love this fish and am concerned. They have not been fed in a while as it is just below 50 in the pond, that said my father-in-law fed them without permission a few weeks ago and so I am paranoid it is related to that (sepsis coming through). No big changes that I know of and I need to go do a water test so not sure where we are at with that (got busy) but no other fish seem to have any issues. He is acting like his normal charming, affectionate self but he looks "off".

Any ideas, clues or words of advice??? We live in Northern/Central California and have had an unusually dry and warm winter (spawned a baby in Sept/Oct it was so warm), so hoping it is just that. I wouldn't think our strongest, biggest and toughest fish would be the most vulnerable but perhaps I need to add stress coat or something?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've seen that as well on my matsuba and my Ki kikoryu. I don't know what it is and in both cases just left undesirable mark but never got infected or became a sore. My showa has had the circle on it's head now for two years. The matsuba about 9 months. I would be sure and check your water parameters. and keep a close eye out for anything secondary in case it developes. But for now I would just monitor. If your water is warming up it's not a bad ideaa to have rock salt or any non-iodized salt ready just in case. spring is coming and every year i see many hobbyist having to dose the salt level up until the bacteria back catch up.

Reaction score
I did a test last night and we were at Nitrite = 0, Ammonia = 0, Phosphate = 2.0 and PH = 9.0!!! I am guessing stress may be the culprit but what do I do to lower my ph, was it baking soda???

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
baking soda locks in PH, you don't want to lock it in at 9.0. You may want to see what your tap water is. If it's lower you may want to change some water to help lower it. hard water rains can bring the PH up. Peat moss will help lower the PH. What is your KH level? this may help explain the PH issue.

Reaction score
Yes, thank you! I looked it up and now recall that is to raise it or keep it, hey at least I recalled baking soda for something :.P Well, I applied a cup of Muriatic Acid and it dropped me to an 8.0, has been at that now for the last 3 tests. We have had some rain lately, so that mixed with a lack of plants, sudden warm then cold again temps and just funky environmental changes is probably why. Not sure what KH is, don't think my kit has that test in it.

Good news is they fish seem a little less lethargic (I figured normal for this time of year since it was slight but they seem happier) AND I think I saw a 2nd baby koi! A little black guy only 2 inches or so, don't think it was a mosquito fish and since we already found one other baby in December not that skeptical :luxlove: Dumb question: could they be prepping to spawn again??? all this weird weather had them confused in the fall so wondering if this PH spike could have something to do with that as well. My tree by the pond is litterally blooming blossoms and dropping dead leaves simultaneously!!!

Ask a Question