color changing fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
A few years ago, I had a couple of koi in with my goldfish. We had a few babies that were brownish/black in color. I noticed this year they seem to be turning yellow. Is this normal or is there something wrong with them?

PS3

Reaction score
yes when fish are small they are dark colors like black and brown
this is there camo to hide from the bigger and not get eaten ..

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
On that same note, I have noticed over last several years that the coloration and color patterns on my shubunkins have gradually change. I've never been alarmed by it, because I had read something in another pond forum about this being quite natural for koi and shubunkins as they get older and mature.

Happy ponding, :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
oldmarine said:
On that same note, I have noticed over last several years that the coloration and color patterns on my shubunkins have gradually change. I've never been alarmed by it, because I had read something in another pond forum about this being quite natural for koi and shubunkins as they get older and mature.

Happy ponding, ;)

Here's a funny story. I bought some feeder goldfish for my first pond. One I named "Mohawk" because he had a stripe down his back. I was so sad when he disappeared. A while after that I was reading about goldfish and learned that they changed colors. I don't think I lost Mohawk, he just turned all gold!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seems like the black always disappears on the goldies but if they have white then that sticks around. Some seem to turn oj very quickly and other keep the dark for ages. I wonder why that is? I'm looking for Shubbies and some long tailed goldies this summer. Just like the way they move w/ their long flowing fins :)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have had three koi of different ages that lost color, two went all white, they lost orange and red. The third lost his black spots and was just white and orange. They were inexpensive domestics though. Sadly I cant update on them.:)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi JW,
The only place around here in the Tacoma area that I have been able to find shubunkins is PetSmart and PetCo. It is rare, but I have seen shubunkins with long fins at those stores. I have one male that has long fins that managed to find at PetSmart. I really like the shubunkins because of their wide variety of colors and they won't out grow my small pond. I agree that they aren't as prized like the koi are, but they seem to have the same gentle nature when they get bigger.

Happy ponding,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Rich, I am going to check our Petsmart and Petco this summer and see what I can find. I've heard they like to jump. Have you noticed that at all? :)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
JW,
I haven't had any trouble with the shubunkin's jumping. I did happen to see one of the females jump up in the middle of the pond for no appearent reason. I have to admit it startled me to actually see one do that. I have had a mosquito fish jump out of the pond and die from time to time, but not often enough to thin out the population in my pond.

Happy ponding,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have had my regular goldies jump up to catch a bug but never jump out and I hope they never do. I read that Mousquito fish will eat the eggs of frogs and your goldfish if you keep them in your pond. Check this link out: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/mosq.htm

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Thanks JW,

Good information. I'm not really concerned about breeding any of my shubunkin's, so the mosquito fish eating any eggs is not a problem. I haven't seen or heard any signs or sounds of the frogs this year. Maybe it's to early yet.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question