Comet gold fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
the blue heron ate our 55 comets about three [?] years ago so we bought another dozen 3''to4'' that were delivered in mail . most of the 55 had been '' born'' [ if that is correct description for fish having babies ] in our pond . the new dozen had only about 4 young the following year . one was all black and since its origin it has become progressively more orange starting from tummy and progressing up to its fin on its back [ dorsal fin? ] . it is now all orange except for that fin and 3/8'' strip on the end of its tail . we rather like it that way . i wondered if this is common or rare . again this happened in roughly two years . thanks for listening and THANKS to the member who was kind enough to tell me how to start a thread . i'm OLD [81 in about a week ] and technologically challenged . . . . peace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Perfectly normal. Don't be surprised if your fish change color again. They tend to start dark and turn another color as they mature. Some of mine have gone from black to orange to white. I sometimes have trouble recognizing them from the ones they were a few years ago.

Sorry about those first comets.

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My comets all start really dark black or gold-brown then develop unique markings that change - seasonally, over time and due to injury (usually from over-aggressive mating rituals). Some stay really deep orange and pretty. I haven't bought a comet in years and have 9 in the pond this year. The fry get eaten by the bullfrogs I guess or I'd have dozens. Enjoy them in good health.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks , i guess the frogs explain why we have fewer baby fish . also points out our million dollar sarrasa comet is typical . . .peace

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine change color also, some are gold brown, some are multi color, some are black, some are white, on and on lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@2vettes - you're doing great! My mom will be 81 in a few weeks and I'm often amazed to think of all the changes she has seen and adapted to in her lifetime. Technology moves fast - you have to be brave enough to ask questions if you're gonna keep up! My 8 year old granddaughter teaches me new things all the time - to them, it's just normal!

Our comets do the same color changing act - some change quickly, others stay dark for a year or two and then change color almost overnight. To the untrained eye they all look very similar, but we can pick out individuals based on small differences in their color patterns. They sure do add a lot of color to a pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The babies start off the "wild color" which is a brown or dark olive color. Then they go through a de-melanization process where they lose the dark pigments. First, they will grow very dark, almost black. Typically the scales on the belly turn light first, yellow or white. Then the black disappears from the sides, and up to the dorsal fin. By the time the process is finished, the fish will usually be white, orange, or some combination. However, it's also possible for the fish to end up deep red (sarassa comets) or yellow, depending on the breed!

Rarely a goldy will not go through demelanization and retain its wild color. Also rarely, sometimes the fish will only partially complete the demelanization and will end up with black patches despite not being a calico fish. This is what they often call "tri-color" or "panda" or "apache." Most of the time, though, these will end up completing at some point and will no longer have black.

Typically, this will all happen before the fish reaches 2 years of age (though it can take longer). After that point, mild color changes (usually from orange to white) can occur slowly, and can be triggered by environment. Sunlight make red coloration more vibrant, for example. Orange fish that I've had inside have turned a much deeper red after being out in the pond. They also say that diet plays a part in the vibrancy of colors.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well tell that to my herd of wild colored fish. They have been around for years, have great fins and are still a pretty gold brown color. The shubunkins have colors from the time you can see them.

Rarely a goldy will not go through demelanization and retain its wild color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well tell that to my herd of wild colored fish. They have been around for years, have great fins and are still a pretty gold brown color. The shubunkins have colors from the time you can see them.

Hehehehe, that's awesome. I actually really like the wild-color variety! Versions of them are how people were able to breed blue and chocolate colored fancies. But nobody bothers to breed blue and chocolate comets, for reasons I don't understand. Maybe you could be the first?!

Ask a Question