Comet spawning age?

Reaction score
I have 7 of those 27 cent feeder "comets" that they sell at petco, all of them about 4 months old, 6" long, just wondering how soon I need to keep an eye out for some eggs? ( I DON'T want babies...yet) Noticed one of them chasing another a little too playfully yesterday, and I think that may be what it is...but, I know little about goldfish sexual behavior...

Reaction score
2nd or third summer after they're born is when you'll see eggs. At 6", they might already be 2 or 3 years old tho. But if you lots of fish, they will likely eat the eggs unless you shield 'em. But there's always a few babies that make it and you see them when you least expect it and its a surprise.

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
aji - I found babies in my pond already in its first year. Saw them while culling some of the ridiculous overgrowing water hyacinth in the lights at night.

I have not seen them much since (kind of hoping the other fish had a feast), but only my 3 comets are big enough to breed so they were probably theirs. The Koi were all too tiny until the later half of the summer and the 3 or 4 fry I saw were fairly large.

Like the other poster said, you will probably get them at some point, but if you do not do anything special they will likely get eaten by the big ones. If not, do you have a friend with a snake? :banana:

Ask a Question