common hardy water plants

Reaction score
from last year, from the old pond, i have some plants that stayed alive all year around. and some that did not.

what would be some common plants that i could get hear in chicago that will survive the winter and i wont have to worry about?

would a lily pad be a plant that will come back every year???

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A hardy one for your area would come back ...Start a hardy lotis you wont be sorry..

Reaction score
I'm on the southside of chicago and have had several plants come back after this past winter. I've had excellent luck with arrowheads my hardy water lilies also my horsetail rush. Think I restarted the newest pond with 15 overwintered plants from last summer and they are going strong:)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have had about the same results. All of my water lillies are hardy enough for the Northwest, and I just keep them in the pond all year round. My horsetail rush comes back in a little late in the spring, but gets about four feet tall. Each spring I have to repot my horsetail rush because they grow so fast and become root bound in the potting basket.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Just curious. What are hardy lotus? According to the local pond dealer near me tells me that there aren't any hardy lotus.

What varieties are you refering to?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELL NOW!! all ive ever heard about lotus', is they are a pain in the rear. never tried one.. maybe next year.. i'm nickle and diming it thru already this year!!

Ask a Question