Compatability of mature Koi with small Goldfish

Reaction score
I have a mature pond of about 1400 gallons that have goldfish, some rather large and well over 8 years old. There are also some smaller, younger ones, however they only started growing babies within the last year. There are about 50 total with maybe 60% large fish. My son has one remaining large Koi in his pond and he wishes to close his down. If I bring his Koi into my pond will it eat my smaller Goldfish?

My pond was existing in a house we bought over 7 years ago. We've lost very few fish over the years, but for whatever reason the population hasn't increased much over the years, which is of course fine, and again, we only started noticing some smaller fish early this year for the first time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif

Welcome to our group. That is a little small for a koi. The goldfish do population control, i.e. eat the eggs and small fry.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO a koi isnt any more likely to eat the small fish than the larger goldfish are... and your pond is big enough for a koi. except the fact your pretty well stocked with goldies as it is. i keep 5 large koi in 1200 gallon pond outside, during the warmer months and in a 800 gallon basement pond during the cold. theres currently the 5 large koi @ 17" - 20"..... 1 koi @ 7",.... 1 pieco @ 19",..... and about 40 - 50 koi @ 2"-4&1/2" in the 800 gals. and they will be there til May.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow thats a lot of fish .I have 13 and thought I was over stocked solid .My pond is around 14x8 and a little over 4 feet deep .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You probably have been having babies all along. Maybe the newer ones had more places to hide. Once they develop bright colors the mature ones recognize them as goldfish and won't eat them.

Ask a Question