Complete newbie just need some advice

Reaction score
Hi all im a complete newbie at ponds and just need some advice im looking at starting my pond within the next week or two iv brought the pond liner its about 8 ft so how big do you think i should have the pond, also iv been looking into pond underlay and iv read news paper does a good job for that but i have got a roll of membrane sheeting for weeds would that be good for the underlay and would it be cheaper to build a filtration system or just buy one

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome!

If I'm reading his right, you already have the liner, but haven't dug the pond? Usually, it's the other way around. You decide how big you want your pond, then decide what size liner you'll need.

The weed-block stuff would work OK. Pond underlayment that we used is basically just a thicker version of the same thing. I guess it would depend somewhat on what your soil is like. Rocky soil would require more protection.

Are you planning to have fish?

Reaction score
Yes im planning to have some fish im looking to put in some shubunkies and comets as iv already got those in one of my tanks and yeah iv not dug the hole yet and soil isnt really that rocky just your normal stones you get in soil which will easily come out im not looking at a massive pond just one big enough so the fish have plenty of swimming space

Reaction score
I dont mean to sound discouraging but an 8' liner is pointless. Youre looking at a max of around 100 gallons. I'd return it and buy a preformed pond if you are going to go that small. Your pond would be literally 2 feet deep, by 2 feet wide, by 2 feet across, leaving a foot of overlap around the sides, which would only be around 60 gallons. I'd return it for something no smaller than 9' by 13' or get a preformed pond if you want something in the 200 to 300 gallon range.

Reaction score
They do look nice if you want something above ground. Looks to be around 120 gallons. I'd probably put 3 fish in there. I like the viewing windows!

Just edited my post cause I realized I did my math wrong!

Reaction score
Well just a update my pond is all dug out underlay is in pond liner is in and the water is in just giving it 24 hours just to make sure theres no leaks biggest problem was to many stones in the soil

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic! great going, now post us some pictures.

Ask a Question