Concrete better, even for a huge pond?

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Hey guys,

I read that concrete ponds are better for long term use because easier to fix if leakages occur. But i am planning to build a pond which is 9000 sq ft ( 1/4 acres ) . It is almost a farm pond.

So , if some kind of leakage occurs, it will be impossible to drain this pond and fix it. It will be an excavated pond. So there won't be a drainage area to let the water out.

In other words, with this pond i can't use the advantage of easy fixability of concrete.

So , my question is , is it worth the extra money spent for concrete? Epdm has at least 20-25 years life anyways. What about concrete ponds with high quality sealants?

I am from a real droughty environment. So , i can't afford a leaking pond really.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought you were building a pond way back in Aug 2016 and you had to have it dug out the next day? I'm confused on what you are doing? Do you have any ponds now and could you post pictures?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought you were building a pond way back in Aug 2016 and you had to have it dug out the next day? I'm confused on what you are doing? Do you have any ponds now and could you post pictures?
You are right, and I remember, now, as well (went back and read old threads/posts)! That was odd.....

@WaterLilly One thing I never understood.....for the size pond you were/are talking about....if you use a liner, that's an aweful lot of liner! Even for concrete, that's a lot of concrete! It sounds more like you are digging a natural pond, and I reference @Meyer Jordan's question about earthen-bottom.

It would be nice if we could see pictures of the area as well as pictures of your other pond.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
I don't know why you are questioning me like this guys. I have a pond and i actually did dig that pond out the next day of that topic. So, people can't have more than a pond?

What am i doing here guys? Just asking random questions and having fun? :) Please.

I can't have a clayed pond because here in my country it's so droughty and all my source is a weak well and also tap water. I can't risk any leakage.

If you want more pictures, feel free to ask. The second picture , the water looks white because that was right after i added white sand.

Attachments

• IMG_8854.JPG
    IMG_8854.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_8988.JPG
    IMG_8988.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 220

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lining a pond this size (or larger) is not uncommon. Polyethylene and Polypropylene liners can be ordered in any size required. You are, however, speaking of considerable cost, not necessarily in material but certainly in labor.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Earthen-bottom ponds properly constructed by a professional will not leak.

And you may have excavated the pictured pond in a day's time, but it was definitely not done manually or by one individual.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Earthen-bottom ponds properly constructed by a professional will not leak.

And you may have excavated the pictured pond in a day's time, but it was definitely not done manually or by one individual.

Jordan come on man. When did i say i will dug it myself? I just said i was in a hurry and needed it excavated in 1 day and so did i . With operators of course. Wanna see excavation pictures?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@waterlily i can tell you my pond will be dug in one day to, not alone :). i dont consider it a "huge" task for a 1 to 3 thousand gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Waterlilly. Welcome back to GPF. It sounds like you are very industrious. Is this pond going to be in Azerbaijan the country you listed when you joined GPF? It's very interesting. I don't know a lot about that country but it seems that some of the land there does not not get a lot of rain. If you don't mind me asking a few questions...Where will you be getting the water? Also i was just curious if you are close to the mountains? Also are you from the US originally? It seems like you have an excellent command of English.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info and just needed for you to confirm what exactly you were doing. Sure you can have as many ponds as you like. I'd be afraid the concrete would crack w/ that much and you said it would not be feasible to repair. Since you say you cannot do the natural and don't want a liner or too costly then perhaps it is not possible for you to have one that big. Just saying :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't know why you are questioning me like this guys. I have a pond and i actually did dig that pond out the next day of that topic. So, people can't have more than a pond?

Hey, everyone here is more than willing to help, but we may need to catch up on what your situation is.
:cautious:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Have you compared the cost of concrete vs EPDM liner for that size installation? You'll need heavy equipment either way, as that liner will be far too large to move without mechanical help. The labor costs will be extensive on either application, I would guess. And a liner that size would be a special order - I can't even imagine what the cost would be.

Ask a Question