Concrete/mortor fish pond

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Roseville, California and bought a house that had an existing pond that had been filled in with dirt. When I dug it back out, I found that it was made with rocks, concrete and mortor. I filled it up and it holds water half way up the stone walls. The depth is around 3 feet deep to the edge heighth of the pond. I would like to know if anyone knows how I can seal or what to use to make the pond hold water up to the top edge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They make stuff to seal concrete, I have never used it. I would have to do a search to find the name of the stuff.

Or get a liner you could put into the pond over the concrete, that might be the easiest.

Welcome to our forum..............

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Knowing what I know today, if it was me, I would get a liner to put in the hole..... Even if sealed, I would never trust it since it could develop cracks that sealing couldn't prevent. And it might be very hard to find and fix leaks in a pond like that. Liners can leak, too, but they're more predictable. And, you gotta wonder WHY they filled in the pond in the first place...... Because of the rock and stuff, though, I would use lots of a good underlayment to keep the hard edges from rubbing through the liner.

And since you do have the rock and stone, if there was a way to salvage any of it, you could use that around the edges [see other pond builds on the forum]. Most of us on GPF are BIG fans of rocks, using them in the landscape and around [but not "IN"] our ponds.

Welcome, and hope you stick around so you can share your project with us. We love to follow pond builds and love to see pictures!

Ask a Question