Concrete or liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I live in New Jersey, United States. We get cold winters and hot summers. I am planing to expand my pond. I even have to go under a sidewalk so they will have a nice tunnel to go thru. What is best a concrete pond or liner pond? I have spent months designing the pond on paper so I know exactly what I want and have no plans of changing it in the future.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to our group! This sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures of your current pond and/or drawings of what you're planning to build? What is your current pond -- is it a liner pond? I'm sorry that I can't help with advice, but my gut says to go with a liner just because concrete can crack, esp if you're in an area with cold winters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
here are some pictures that I've accumulated so far.
One is where the pond will expand too. And one is the existing pond which is a liner pond.

Attachments

• IMG_8844.JPG
    IMG_8844.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_8804.JPG
    IMG_8804.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 215
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to our group! This sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures of your current pond and/or drawings of what you're planning to build? What is your current pond -- is it a liner pond? I'm sorry that I can't help with advice, but my gut says to go with a liner just because concrete can crack, esp if you're in an area with cold winters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And here is my new design that I am going for.

Attachments

• IMG_9893.JPG
    IMG_9893.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9894.JPG
    IMG_9894.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9895.JPG
    IMG_9895.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 163
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you figured out how you'll go under the sidewalk? Will the sidewalk remain structurally sound?
My plan is to use a plastic colvert pipe 24" in diameter or bigger. Should be able to seal the liner to the smooth surface of the colvert pretty easy. I also plan to purchase a plug for the colvert. I hav not found one large enough yet but I'm sure they make one. If I can find a plug I should be able to block one side off from the other for maintence and repairs if needed. I've been putting a lot of thought in it. Oh and yes the sidewalk will remain sturdy. I am going to attempt to take a piece out then put it back. But if I can't I will pour a new piece.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Cj Harvey Well, that's pretty neat! We had a member a few years ago who did something similar and it all worked out well. And if it doesn't work out for the poor sidewalk....you could always turn it into a little bridge!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is the person who did this before still around? Would love to get some input from him or her
No. This was 3 or 4 years ago. She was one of those "here for a year -- then gone" members. It was someone who lived in Florida. I'll try to check the archives if I can recall her name.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Cj Harvey Her name was "gardengimp." I didn't get a hit when I typed in a search by member name, but when I put "gimp" in the search bar, it pulled up several threads/posts that she participated in. Even though she's not still active, maybe you can search through her old threads and find something about the construction.

Screenshot I took when I found her posts.....
IMG_0074.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have spent months designing the pond on paper so I know exactly what I want and have no plans of changing it in the future.

can anyone here witness this? I didn't think this was even possible...nor possible to just think this way...!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
S nj here liner is fine My pond is 4' deep and only freezes on the top few inches where i don't have a heater or water running.

Attaching the liner to the tunnel maybe an issue.

Ask a Question