Concrete pond leak?

Reaction score
Hi,

We moved in last year but have not touched the pond before. We knew it was bubbling up from underneath lifting the liner.

I've drained it and removed the liner. Underneath it we found it was concrete and a lot of rotten carpet with water pushing the liner up. The liner looks in good condition and I cannot see any leaks. I've drained all the water and its not now refilling or anything. The concrete does not have any visible cracks but I'm worried if I put the liner back in and refil the same thing will happen again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
liner should never be put over concrete unless concrete is leaking bad .It could have had a crack that seal it itself with gunk .I would break the concrete up as it will do the same thing .It may not be thick concrete and weather changes made it crack or concrete mix may have not been mixed right or may not have been poured properly .Water is more than likely seeping up through the concrete or filling the concrete up and that lifts the liner .You could also have a high water table and rains cause this .

Reaction score
He already said no water is seeping up through the concrete so we can eliminate most of that.

Have you considered filling the concrete pond without the liner to see if it leaks? How big of a pond are we talking?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It also depends on how much rain he has gotten since pulling the liner .In heavier rains ground water will be more and it will force it's way up .Best way to know is to fill it and see if it looses water like said .If it does then there is a crack .There had to be some reason they put a liner over the concrete .It could have been leaking some where else and they thought it was the concrete or it is cracked some where .Pics would help a little but you are the best source of your own info ,as seeing is believing .Water and mark water level to see if it drops down and how fast .

Ask a Question