Concrete Pond Rim, what is this stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody,

Im posting on behalf of my restaurant which owns a concrete pond. We are cleaning it and going to put in sky blue epoxy. I ran into a problem though. Some of the material on top of the pond's rim is crumbling and I know I need to re-do it. A picture of it is attached, I have been unable to identify if it is mortar or concrete. Any ideas?

IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0623.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Before doing any patching and painting, you'll have to chip out any loose stuff in order to make the proper repairs. Hammer and chisel. If it sounds hollow when you hit it, chip it out. It has to be solid or it will most likely fail in the future.

If you are unsure or if this is a large undertaking, it might be wise to higher a professional.

I guessing your photos show some type of mortar mix.
It's definitely not concrete. Concrete is basically cement with stone aggregates added.
Both concrete and mortar mix are cement based. Mortar doesn't have the aggregate (stone, rocks).
I believe mortar mixes have bonding agents to help them adhere better than just plain cement. Usually acrylic latex, which helps the mix to stick better. Plain cement would be hard to work with because it would mostly just fall out. You can also buy the latex as a liquid and paint it on the surface ahead of applying the mortar mix. This creates a clean sticky surface.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before doing any patching and painting, you'll have to chip out any loose stuff in order to make the proper repairs. Hammer and chisel. If it sounds hollow when you hit it, chip it out. It has to be solid or it will most likely fail in the future.

If you are unsure or if this is a large undertaking, it might be wise to higher a professional.

I guessing your photos show some type of mortar mix.
It's definitely not concrete. Concrete is basically cement with stone aggregates added.
Both concrete and mortar mix are cement based. Mortar doesn't have the aggregate (stone, rocks).
I believe mortar mixes have bonding agents to help them adhere better than just plain cement. Usually acrylic latex, which helps the mix to stick better. Plain cement would be hard to work with because it would mostly just fall out. You can also buy the latex as a liquid and paint it on the surface ahead of applying the mortar mix. This creates a clean sticky surface.
Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question