Concrete Pond with no bottom drain

Reaction score
I need some advice here, i have had this pond for a few years now and after a few attacks on the liner by racoons i built it into a concrete pond. The size is 20 feet by 20 feet by 5 feet deep.The only issue is i did not put a bottom drain.I wouldnt without doing extensive damage to my garden. I have always had a submersible pump which pumped water to two biological filters and another pump for the waterfall. I would like to get away from the submersibles due to thier shelve lifes .I have heard of people installing a special drain that can be connected to an outside pump. The reason being eventhough the setup i have is good the the second reason other than pump shelve life is losing babies in the pump circulation.
Now the help i need is to convert this using the above idea and would like some help i.e pump type , bottom drain type.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Retro bottom drains work well, I have used them in a few of my ponds, you may need to sweep the stuff towards the drain off and on, or even plumb in two, with valves to select one or the other or have both on.

Reaction score
addy, thanks for the reply that is where i am kind off confused . Can you explain or send me a link , picture diagram?
Also can the pump sit outside lip level of the pond?i need all the help i can get to actually take the step.
thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pidluk said:
addy, thanks for the reply that is where i am kind off confused . Can you explain or send me a link , picture diagram?
Also can the pump sit outside lip level of the pond?i need all the help i can get to actually take the step.
thanks

Here is a link I don't have a drawing.

http://www.aquaart.com/drain.html

If you have an external pump it can sit anywhere that will work

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I have a totally concrete system and had the same problem. I got out my hammer drill and punched a hole thru the wall of the lower section b/c I wanted to locate the pump outside the pond. I mortar'd PVC into the hole I punched with an elbow, more pVC and ball joint. The entire setup (shown under construction about 18 months or so ago) allowed me to locate the pump outside the water as well as to drain the system with the ball valve (after unscrewing the pump sleeve).

I've since located the pump back in the water where it's cooler (IMO, I can't decide which is best, pump in or out of water). The ball valve and PVC is still in place to serve as drainage or should I change my mind again and locate the pump outside.

ry%3D480

I use Laguna Max Flow pump, which rocks, after reading many testimonials from people who've been using theirs for years. My first 2 pumps were cheap and failed.

Dave V

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

SE18

David V
Reaction score
The koidaddy DIY is good thread, but I believe everyone on that thread is using a liner. Pidluk and I using concrete. I forgot to mention or said wrong mortar, but I actually used hydraulic cement around the pvc that goes thru the concrete. The hole is in the lowest section of the waterways so gravity feeds to pump. I'm not sure if your pond has any elevated portion like mine (most of mine isn't elevated only the lowest section), so it would likely be a lot tougher for you to go thru the bottom, although it could be done if there's some slopage enough for draining. Sorry for rambling. BTW, I had to drill through about 6 inches of concrete for the drain, but I'm used to doing that as I had to install plumbing in my house, rerouting it below the basement slab

Ask a Question