Concrete vs liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've looked for threads about this but couldn't find any. If there are any there that I can't find, please direct me.........

Of course now that this summer I dug and finished my 800 gallon liner-pond at my dad's house, we bought a house of our own and need to do it all over again. My fiancé works for a concrete company now and has made plans for this coming summer to dig (has backhoe & excavator lined up) and build me a bigger pond made of concrete. We do realize it has to be cured and possibly sealed in some way. But does anyone have any experience with a pond made of concrete? Are there any major concerns I should have with respect to water quality from the concrete? I'm still new to this ponding thing and I want to do things the right way for my fish.

I had no idea my fiancé was planning this for this summer! I had already made up my mind that I was going to house my fish in stock tanks until NEXT summer, but I'm told it's going to happen this year! I'm excited that my fish are going to have an even bigger space to live, but the idea of concrete is foreign. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions that might help me with this new endeavor??? Only have a few months to plan for this!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! Like most on here, I've learned over the years what to do & what NOT to do, but this concrete idea just never crossed my mind! Actually, I'll be moving from here in PA out your way in Ohio to Fayette County!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only thing is concrete is set in concrete and you need to be sure this is the size pond you want .Also remember to think ahead for the unexpected when digging .Make sure also that the county does allow it and does not tax you for a pool and also home insurance .It costs me less than 5 dollars a year to insure mine from Brothern insurance .If some one gets hurt by it then it is covered .The yu never knows can hit you hard .I checked with the county to make sure that they had no rules on ponds .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
only thing is concrete is set in concrete and you need to be sure this is the size pond you want .Also remember to think ahead for the unexpected when digging .Make sure also that the county does allow it and does not tax you for a pool and also home insurance .It costs me less than 5 dollars a year to insure mine from Brothern insurance .If some one gets hurt by it then it is covered .The yu never knows can hit you hard .I checked with the county to make sure that they had no rules on ponds .

Yes, I've already thought of those things. The size is what is baffling me right now....oh how big to go?? And even tho we're out in the country, I've already thought of the need for a fence around the thing. We're planning on fencing in the yard anyway for the cats (another story--they make cat-safe fences--lol) I find it interesting that if it's lined, it's a pond, but if it's concrete, it's a pool. We close tomorrow, so that's definitely something I'll be looking into! Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember also about electric and find your best viewing area so you can enjoy it the most .Remember run off also .I live in a rural area also but the rules apply here concrete it is a pool and liner it is a pond .Mine is not fenced in since it is in the front yard but they have no rules on fencing since it is farm country and there are lots of farm ponds here .I try to check everything ,but I still messed up on my heat pump and thought I researched it well .Even went with the number 1 installer here and still not good .OH WELL can't win them all .:)I am done calling them every name in the book ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks! Like most on here, I've learned over the years what to do & what NOT to do, but this concrete idea just never crossed my mind! Actually, I'll be moving from here in PA out your way in Ohio to Fayette County!
Great :) When are you planning on making the move?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Great :) When are you planning on making the move?

We close on the house today. He's already out there, but I won't be moving til late spring/summer.

:)Patience and planning make a happy ponder;)

UGH - I know. That's why I wasn't planning on this until NEXT summer. But with everything else that needs done to the house this year, my original plan may just stick. Want to get inside done before we worry about outside. WHICH will give me more time to plan this thing out.

So, no one has heard anything bad about having fish in a pond made of concrete?? I understand about the permits, insurance & all that stuff. But what about the FISH....will they be ok? Do I need to do anything different? Watch for anything regarding different chemistry, etc?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know concrete is acidic .There are lots of video's on you tube of all kinds of ponds that may give you an idea .Ponddigger and pond hunter are good sources on there for great info .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Concrete is extremely alkaline as it sets, you need to keep it from drying too fast, slowing its curing rate will allow it to set harder.

The lime of the concrete is hostile to fish when it leaches into the water, you need to research which best way to cure the concrete suits you.

Weathering the pond for a few months over winter would work, coating the surfaces with sodium silicate will go a long way to sealing, 'fixing' the lime in the concrete

Some structural strength is going to be a factor, strong enough to cope with the stress of ice expanding in the water months, or you will find the pond cracks under stress...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
While I applaud your boyfriends intentions, a completely concrete pond is a considerable investment in labor and materials. The entire structure, especially the walls, will need to be rendered structurally sound through the extensive use of rebar or other material. The wall will also need to be at least 4 inches thick. And as others have said, if your ground is subject to freezing and heaving during Winter months, wall thickness and reinforcement may need to be increased.
There are several reliable 'fish safe' pond sealants available on the market.
You have not mentioned what size (capacity) pond you are planning. The options of a bottom drain and/or skimmer need to be considered.
Personally, I would use EPDM liner. It will be less expensive in the long term.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Don Perry has built multiple ponds and faux rock using a cement mixture he has modified over the last few years specifically for ponds. Go to you tube and search his name. He has teaching videos showing several pond builds that are his and one for his brother and his cement mixes. . The admixes he uses creates a low porosity and eliminates the concern for leeching . He is located in northern Illinois and created his mixture to withstand the extreme cold. He has replied to emails and has been great sharing his knowledge and experience .

Ask a Question