confused about cl and cl2 (chlorine)

Reaction score
I was told our tapwater was "fish safe" where I live. (Its ground water pumped from below clay ground, and also famous for being excellent and frankly, better tasting than most bottled water). Its certainly safe for the things I can test (Ph, NO2, NH3), but I wonder about chlorine.

You can see the water analysis of my tap water here:
http://www.pidpa.be/nl/waterkwaliteit/pdf/Pidpa7_HD_Mol.pdf
Its in dutch, but the chemical symbols ought to help. The actual values are in the "mediaan" column, the last column is the legal limit for drinking water.

Looking for CL2, i find what they call "vrije chloorresten in water". Translated that would be "free chlorine remains (?) in water". Its rated for less than 50 microgram per liter, which is less than 0.05 ppm, which happens to be the safe threshold from what I read; keeping in mind Im slowly filling my pond over the course of many days, probably a week (its ~15000 gallon and I only fill a few hours per day), Im spraying the water in (plenty of aeration) and I have activated charcoal in my filter, I think that ought to be okay.

But then there is this entry for Chloride, chemical symbol cl. Its rated for 11.6 ppm. What is that, and is that something to worry about? Im reading very conflicting things about this.

Reaction score
Okay, never mind. Turns out chlorides are good, and if anything, there isnt enough of it in my tap water. 50-100 ppm of chlorides seems to be advisable as insurance against high spikes of nitrites and for the same reason many people add salt (= natrium chloride) or calcium chloride. Continuing filling.

Ask a Question