Connect two small ponds

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I built a lovely pond with a natural edge consisting of plantings and marsh gardens. Now my family would like more pond. I would like to make a second small pond and connect them by a shallow water fall . There is only a bubbling rock in the present one. Any advice. I am a pond newbie as of April 2019.

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1574789544995.gif
@Victoria'sPond
This is what happens when you start ponding. We always want more, bigger and better. Wow the addiction grabbed you fast :D

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, I am smitten and so is my family. They love the water Lily and blue iris. I will expand it somehow, just would rather connect a second one than take this one all apart

JRS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! One thing to keep in mind is the lower pond is going to act as a sump for the upper pond. All the water loss to evaporation will be seen in the lower pond since the water will be pumped up. Depending on the size of your ponds, you may have to pay a bit more attention than with just one and it is better to have the lower pond larger if possible to minimize this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pictures are the only way we can give you realistic suggestions. is your pond a plastic tub ? is it epdm rubber? what are you working with ? a photo of the over all area as well as a close up of the pond is beneficial

Reaction score
I have a double pond, both of my are just small preformed plastic. I currently have 2 PVC pipe feeding top to bottom. I have yet to make my "watefall" as I may change the upper pond. Eventually I will use a piece of rubber pond liner and make my rock waterfall,, current drop is only maybe 2, maybe 3 feet.

20180702_174626.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

dnp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a lovely pond with a natural edge consisting of plantings and marsh gardens. Now my family would like more pond. I would like to make a second small pond and connect them by a shallow water fall . There is only a bubbling rock in the present one. Any advice. I am a pond newbie as of April 2019.
I have added on the existing pond twice by seaming new liner to old liner and creating a pass through (trench like) from one pond to the other. There are some great videos on Youtube on the proper application of seam tape. I find this job very nerve racking but has been successful. My koi seem to love going from one area to another.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question