Connect two small ponds

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I built a lovely pond with a natural edge consisting of plantings and marsh gardens. Now my family would like more pond. I would like to make a second small pond and connect them by a shallow water fall . There is only a bubbling rock in the present one. Any advice. I am a pond newbie as of April 2019.

Ad

Advertisements

JRS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! One thing to keep in mind is the lower pond is going to act as a sump for the upper pond. All the water loss to evaporation will be seen in the lower pond since the water will be pumped up. Depending on the size of your ponds, you may have to pay a bit more attention than with just one and it is better to have the lower pond larger if possible to minimize this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pictures are the only way we can give you realistic suggestions. is your pond a plastic tub ? is it epdm rubber? what are you working with ? a photo of the over all area as well as a close up of the pond is beneficial

Reaction score
I have a double pond, both of my are just small preformed plastic. I currently have 2 PVC pipe feeding top to bottom. I have yet to make my "watefall" as I may change the upper pond. Eventually I will use a piece of rubber pond liner and make my rock waterfall,, current drop is only maybe 2, maybe 3 feet.

20180702_174626.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

dnp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a lovely pond with a natural edge consisting of plantings and marsh gardens. Now my family would like more pond. I would like to make a second small pond and connect them by a shallow water fall . There is only a bubbling rock in the present one. Any advice. I am a pond newbie as of April 2019.
I have added on the existing pond twice by seaming new liner to old liner and creating a pass through (trench like) from one pond to the other. There are some great videos on Youtube on the proper application of seam tape. I find this job very nerve racking but has been successful. My koi seem to love going from one area to another.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pictures and more pictures help us to help you

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pictures are the only way we can give you realistic suggestions. is your pond a plastic tub ? is it epdm rubber? what are you working with ? a photo of the over all area as well as a close up of the pond is beneficial
Sorry. I took a long hiatus from ='ll things garden. The pond has a good quality epdm
IMG_20190620_1538574.jpg
soft liner with a good underlay. I did put sand down and made sure there were no sharp rocks. The pond has a "soft" edge". The pond is surrounded by marsh gardens. I did this to make the pond mor attractive to the local toads. My yard is not level. The entire yard slopes from the back left corner of the house to the far right corner of the fence ( a diagonal line) a drop of about 4 feet. To construct the pond, I had to artificially raise the back of the pond and all along the right side. There are some older and mature trees whose roots might make it tough to add a lower pond down the slope from this one. In the photo you see the pond before the addition of the large rocks and flower bed at the back and marsh gardens at the sides. You do get a sense of how I had to lay the liner over a burm of soil excavated from the pond site. I am beginning to think that adding a second tier is a bit too ambitious.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a double pond, both of my are just small preformed plastic. I currently have 2 PVC pipe feeding top to bottom. I have yet to make my "watefall" as I may change the upper pond. Eventually I will use a piece of rubber pond liner and make my rock waterfall,, current drop is only maybe 2, maybe 3 feet.

View attachment 125574
Thanks for the photo of this. Very inventive. I found a had a lot of snails in my filter and I am wondering if those pvc pipes ever get clogged. How will it be finished over the pic pipe? Is that where the rock waterfall goes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Off to a nice start things are looking pretty good. you have the extra liner why not use it I'd make the side where ever you have enough rubber lower then the water level like 3 to 6" then create planting pockets for aggressive plants like yellow iris. by having it in these pockets will make it easier to control. Never cut any left over you never know what you'll want or need to do with it down the road. I did a similiar planting box but it's like 6 feet by 10 feet and i placed pitcher plants live spagnum moss and liver wart and the salamanders and frogs and toads love the area . And i have to admit it's pretty cool . in this video it is in the upper left corner when the video starts and i start walking around the pond and zoom in thats just the pocket bog no piping . and it also removes any chance of the pond looking like a string of pearls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Placing the falls in the center is fine but it is alot easier to control when it's at one end and the water flow goes in one direction

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Off to a nice start things are looking pretty good. you have the extra liner why not use it I'd make the side where ever you have enough rubber lower then the water level like 3 to 6" then create planting pockets for aggressive plants like yellow iris. by having it in these pockets will make it easier to control. Never cut any left over you never know what you'll want or need to do with it down the road. I did a similiar planting box but it's like 6 feet by 10 feet and i placed pitcher plants live spagnum moss and liver wart and the salamanders and frogs and toads love the area . And i have to admit it's pretty cool . in this video it is in the upper left corner when the video starts and i start walking around the pond and zoom in thats just the pocket bog no piping . and it also removes any chance of the pond looking like a string of pearls.
Absolutely stunning. How I wish I had made mine bigger to begin with. Thanks for sharing the video!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats the best part to epdm you can add on. WATCH THE VIDEOS on you tube and they will show you how to seam the rubber make your now pond the bog and make your bigger pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
can you have the falls at the top ? or bog or both answer is the same yes heres some videos to give you some ideas

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neat but can you have it at the upper pond then and just pump it all back up?
Sure, you can the falls at the top of the top pond. You can easily add a waterfall box above the top pond and have that be the source, have the water flow all the way above the top pond to the waterfall box, down through the top pond, downstream into a lower pond, and then pipe the water back up the hill to the waterfall box. I have that sort of set-up. It's just a massive waste of perfectly good flowing water that could be working as a filter, but it's definitely do-able. If you really like expansion and gardening (and it sounds like you do), you could add a bog pond above the main pond and accomplish really effective filtration if you pump up to a bog, then let that flow down into the pond. You can still add a second pond, making a stream from the upper pond into the lower pond, and then pump the water from the lowest pond back up to the bog, having basically four water features (a bog, a top pond, a stream, and a lower pond). The bog is a heavily planted pond mostly filled with pea gravel that acts as a filter. The water is pumped up through the bog's gravel and plant roots, where it then flows over a weir (waterfall) into the pond. A bog generally falls into the pond via a weir, so is a waterfall in and of itself, but if you do not have space or the funds to build a bog (gravel and plants gets expensive fast), you can instead add a waterfall box to your current build to get a waterfall at the top of the current pond. Waterfall boxes are often set up as bio-filters, but are never as effective as a bog will be. I would say just making a bog pond on the up-hill side of the current pond makes the most sense unless there is not room to do so (or you could make your current pond the bog and then make a larger pond downhill).
Here is a massive scale overview, but many people here have built small scale bogs using just PVC pipe and a small wetland area. Bogs can look very natural and look like a second pond, but with the benefit of adding massive filtration functionality. Here's a small-scale bog feeding into a pond via a little stream, but it could just as easily be a waterfall from the bog to the pond and if you make the center of the bog into a well with some deeper water, it can look very much like just a second pond with the edges nicely planted. Being on an incline works to your advantage so long as you have room to build on the uphill side.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question