Connecting bio filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been thinking again and came up the this idea to combine the 2555 gallon bio filters I am building. Will this work?

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 353

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
2555 bio filters is a lot of filters.....lol
seriously....that should work fine if your 2 outlets are 2" and combine into a 3" or bigger

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, better to over filter than under filter, right?? I didn't think about combining the 2 outlets to a larger one, thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol koiguy, my bio filter is around 2400 gallons...........

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
riparks said:
LOL, better to over filter than under filter, right?? I didn't think about combining the 2 outlets to a larger one, thanks.
Oh... i thought thats what your pic was showing...2 outlets going into 1... o.k well if not i'm glad the idea helped.
i just didnt want to see you try to put 2 2"outlets into 1 2"pipe

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
riparks, you might want to put ball valves on the lines so if you need to adjust flow between the two you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I already planned on that addy1. I've been looking at all the 55 gallon bio filters I can find on the internet and hadn't seen one set up like my sad little drawing, lol. I just wanted to make sure that it would work with separating the lines coming out of the pump instead of connecting the 2 filters together. I hope that makes sense. I think I will be able to hide them better this way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see why not

and your drawing is not sad.......It shows what you want to do, makes it easier for us to understand lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks addy. I keep having these surges of confidence and think that I can actually pull this off, then I start thinking and analyzing and get confused and lose confidence. I can see in my mind what I want, but don't know exactly how to put it all together. I need to just chill out, my husband understands how all of the plumbing works and can install everything. It all just seems so overwhelming.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your plan looks good you can run more water with two independent filters like you drew up than you could if the filters were tied together ..
And you can run one while the other is down

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
riparks said:
Thanks addy. I keep having these surges of confidence and think that I can actually pull this off, then I start thinking and analyzing and get confused and lose confidence. I can see in my mind what I want, but don't know exactly how to put it all together. I need to just chill out, my husband understands how all of the plumbing works and can install everything. It all just seems so overwhelming.

You are doing great! My first pond I just picked up a shovel and started digging, then figured out how to make it work.

Plumbing is not that hard, pick up a piece lay it down next to your filter take a connection, ball valve whatever and lightly connect it to the pipe (no glue and don't push on too hard) keep going until you have the layout you want. This way you can change change change until it works lol.

Go to home depot or whereever and buy a lot of fittings, keep receipt you can always take them back, have a box full. When you are working on the piping you will have what you want sitting there.

Like said above put your two filter lines into a t or a y (also called sweeps) would be better, enlarge to 3 inch pipe.
See parts list? a y two inch in size, and 2 to 3 inch connection, 2 inch pipe, 2 ball valves etc. lol

When you glue push on real hard and let the pipe sit, do not charge with water right away. My honey lets pipes sit for 1/2 hr plus to make sure dry.

You will do fine

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just a tip... if your plumbing it all in hard pipe, when you get it where you like...go back thru and mark all joints /connections (both sides) with a marker so you can disassemble, glue, and reassemble perfectly by realligning marks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Will do, learned the hard way yesterday making my swirler. I put it together, took it apart, and glued it back together with the elbow joints facing up and down. Oops.

Ask a Question