Connecting ponds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
can I (without too much headaches) connect my pre-formed Home Depot liner to an added, hand dug pond behind it? sort of an enlargement, or should I just do a larger pond from scratch?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
can I (without too much headaches) connect my pre-formed Home Depot liner to an added, hand dug pond behind it? sort of an enlargement, or should I just do a larger pond from scratch?
Personally I would build a new pond with a new liner, use the old liner for a small bog, a small pond that waterfalls into the new big pond.

Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures of your pond when you can and the area you are working with

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those pre-forms are popular but, an EPDM liner is so much easier to work with. No worries about leveling or heaving over time causing issues, no cracking, etc. I'd start from scratch if it were me... but I'm not digging!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The preformed are a starter pond they have there place and can be used as a mini bog area or even a nursery. Unless it's a huge preform i'd start fresh. Then the only restriction is your creativity your purse strings oh yeah and the WIFE.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1590247169119.gif
@tsm7296

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree with others about just concentrating on your new pond of increased size.

You should build it as large as you can, both financially and physically.

Many people who get into ponding end up wanting something larger for several reasons.

If you intend on retrofitting the preform to the new dug in pond, you might have trouble with the transition between the two. Your preform most likely doesn't have a low spot, a waterfall portion or a weir to guide the water into the new pond. In other words, the top of the preform is all the same height. How will you direct the water into the new pond? It's just not worth the trouble.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rubber is so cheap it's the finishing that will end up costing you a few bucks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ya see, I've been through all the "pond stuff" i.e. The great egret, the annual spawn,(they have pushed each other out...well, one time) the egret again,now the fish have a steel grill for protection, but I've been wanting to do something bigger,the space became vacant when my 3 birch trees died, I finally pulled those stumps, wanted to plant a white nectarine, too much shade from the two 100+ft. Redwoods, about 6foot when I bought them at Home Depot early 80's, but it's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of just doing it, I'm not the greatest at using tools I think I just hate to let things go to waste, like the plastic pond liner, I'm sure I'll be able to find any info I need on this site, also there used to be an owl that lived in the redwoods that would try to get passed my security but I haven't seen him or her for quite some time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally I would build a new pond with a new liner, use the old liner for a small bog, a small pond that waterfalls into the new big pond.

Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures of your pond when you can and the area you are working with
The agapanthus can go, the pit behind the pond is where the birch trees were, and omg, the redwoods, when I planted them I was taller than they.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.JPG
    IMG_5793.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5795.JPG
    IMG_5795.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5796.JPG
    IMG_5796.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 138

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As others suggested I would start from scratch with an epdm pond liner. If you dont want the preformed pond liner to go to waste you can make it into a bog that dumps into the main pon. It looks like there is no spillway on the preformed liner so might take some modification on your part for that to work.
Other option is raise it out of the ground and frame around it with wood or block of some type filling in any gaps between liner and frame with dirt (using up some of the dirt from your new pond dig) and create a seperate accent pond/planter for something like a lotus. filling the preformed pond most of the way up with pea gravel Add water then planting a lotus in it, just let it take over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like all the tips and or advice, very simple and to the point, still , every time I look out back I'm not seeing any dirt piles, I've gone fishing the last 3 days in a row and when I get home everything is exactly how I left it. ...WHERE ARE ALL THE ELVES?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Would a preformed pond melt if heated? Could you take a heat gun or torch and form a lower section to be able to drain into the new pond? I know you can with the plastic 55 gallon drums. Other alternative would be to cut a section lower, bolt and seal a spillway to it or a toilet flange and elbow to drain into a diversion pipe back to the main pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Would a preformed pond melt if heated? Could you take a heat gun or torch and form a lower section to be able to drain into the new pond? I know you can with the plastic 55 gallon drums.
Good question. I wonder as well. I wouldn't use a torch. A heat gun used carefully sounds like a good plan. Low heat and far distance at first. Real gradual with the heat and distance.

Ask a Question