Connecting two containers...thoughts!

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Long time no post. I did not set up a container water garden this year, but am strongly considering doing so next year. One of my major problems with that is that I was worried I would have no way of adding a marginal plant, as I would have no way of adding one without compromising the container's ability to keep the neighborhood kids from falling in it...I have come up with a possible solution, however, and want your thoughts on it.

My idea is to use two containers - one for the actual pond and the other for a marginal plant (perhaps a canna lily?) - drill a small hole in both, and connect them with a piece of flexible tubing running between both holes (I've repeatedly done something similar with plastic items intended for my aquariums...it DOES seal so long as the hole is smaller than the outer diameter of the tubing). My thought is that this would allow me to attach a marginal plant to the pond while still allowing me to use a lid to keep kids from being hurt by my water garden. What are your thoughts about this? Obviously the marginal plant container would need to be about as tall or taller than the water level in the main 'pond'. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Joshaeus - I feel like you've been planning this build for a looooooong time. Is it possible you're way overthinking the danger that a container pond could cause to kids? I mean if we're talking "container" I'm assuming you mean something under 100 gallons? What possible harm could come to someone who fell into a container of that size? Don't people have kiddie pools and whatnot in your neighborhood? And why are all these neighborhood kids poking around your yard? Are they just not real smart kids that you're dealing with? Are these tiny toddlers just toddling around looking to fall into any bucket or pail that might contain some water? I'm being a bit facetious, but honestly I do wonder why you are so worried about keeping your patio ponds covered. Haven't we had this conversation before?

OK - having said all of that... in theory, of course you can build connecting ponds. Lots of people do this so they can have fish in one pond and plants in the other, especially if they have trouble with their fish leaving their plants alone. If you know how to successfully seal both containers at the connection, then why not?

But I am still confused about why one container is (in your mind) creating a huge danger to the surrounding community and needs to be covered to protect the local children while a second container would not create the same hazard?

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK - having said all of that... in theory, of course you can build connecting ponds. Lots of people do this so they can have fish in one pond and plants in the other, especially if they have trouble with their fish leaving their plants alone. If you know how to successfully seal both containers at the connection, then why not?

But I am still confused about why one container is (in your mind) creating a huge danger to the surrounding community and needs to be covered to protect the local children while a second container would not create the same hazard?
The second container would have the soil higher than the water level. Maybe I am too paranoid about the local kids? I don't see a lot of evidence that kids (aside from those next door, which are not toddlers) visit our backyard with any frequency. The lid is also intended to keep raccoons and feral cats (the latter of which are definitely present in our neighborhood) from going fishing in this setup.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agreed can be done, depending on the container, would us a bulkhead for a flat sided container or a uniseal for a curved. Although if the curved container is flimsy enough like for example a 5 gallon bucket bulkhead would work on the curved surface as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agreed can be done, depending on the container, would us a bulkhead for a flat sided container or a uniseal for a curved. Although if the curved container is flimsy enough like for example a 5 gallon bucket bulkhead would work on the curved surface as well.
I agree.
The only way I would ever do this is with a bulkhead fitting. It is the best way for a leak proof seal.
They come with threaded connections on both sides where you screw your pipe or connector into or they come slip, which you glue PVC into.
They come in various sizes and are inexpensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe I am too paranoid about the local kids?

I think WAAAAAAAY too paranoid. Kids who might be at risk of drowning in a container pond shouldn't be on the wander without an adult and those who are old enough to wander won't be in any danger. I also doubt that cats will go fishing in your pond. Raccoons maybe, but no cat I've ever known was interested in fishing.

Build your container pond for your enjoyment. If you have an issue later, then deal with it. But you're trying to solve problems you don't even have yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just caught the part about the dirt being higher than the water.... say what now? What kind of pond is going to have that much dirt in it? And you want to run water through it and back into the water filled container? Now I'm really confused!

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, I gave this idea more thought...my suggested idea would have likely resulted in nutrients from the soil in the bucket/planter housing the marginal plant leaking into the container pond and causing algae issues. I think I am simply going to keep the marginal(s) in unconnected containers, likely using the drilled tubing to allow a water reservoir at the bottom of the planter to keep the soil wet. I already created a leak tight tubing connection as a test, and will likely use it for some kind of marginal plant (perhaps a canna lily?) this year (as it is probably too late for an actual water garden).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could be way confused, but why not make one container a bog and the other for fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How long would a hardy water lily have in an above ground tub pond before it went dormant?
it's temp and light amount dependent. When I put the pond to sleep for the winter, temps are near 40 (water) and there's still some leaves alive. So, in New England, you should get between April late and October mid for any water lily action, be it in pond or in a container. Again, it's also light dependent, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Man your still fighting to get those lilies going ?????

None deodorized kitty litter
use a rectangular tub like a small mortar tray from home depot
get some lilly fertalizer tablets do not put the tablets against the roots
submerge 12 to 24" deep
Give it lots of sun and
YOUR DONE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Man your still fighting to get those lilies going ?????

None deodorized kitty litter
use a rectangular tub like a small mortar tray from home depot
get some lilly fertalizer tablets do not put the tablets against the roots
submerge 12 to 24" deep
Give it lots of sun and
YOUR DONE
you're being a bit hard on CW's other brother, ain'tcha??? :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been accused of being insensitive . But generally just in words where there's no emotions or expressions to go along with it.

Ask a Question