Consideration for mechanical scrubber

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My pond is under a huge locust tree which has millions of little leaves. These of course clog up the works every Fall, so they've been a consideration for redesigning my new pond. The setup will be a pair of basic skippy filters in 55-gallon barrels, with a Laguna 2900 pumping each. What I would like to do is have a simple coarse scrubber between the pumps and barrels with some 1/8" screen to catch the big stuff. This of course requires a large lid that can be sealed water-tight.

Today I ran across these: http://www.preparingwisely.com/buckets_lids__storage_containers

Has anyone used these buckets with screw-on lids before? I was thinking the 3.5-gallon would be great - provides room for a large screen and easily buried in the ground with only the lid showing.

And design-wise, I was planning something pretty straightforward... have the intake come in on the side at the top of the bucket, and the outlet goes out the bottom of the opposite side, with the screen set at an angle in between...
Code:
>--|  / |

| /  |-->
Or maybe I can form the screen into its own bucket somehow? I don't know, what do other folks do for a simple filter like this?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
How about using a laundry tub raised to the same level as your filters, this would let you use the drain for a flush...I have this between my 2 ponds, the divider is a 1/4" screen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Hmm interesting idea. I was thinking of putting them down by the pumps, hadn't even considered moving them up towards the filters. I still need a sealed container though, to provide the pressure for the water to pump through the bio filter (unless the scrubber were placed well above the filter). Using your drawing, or even using my concept with the flow going the opposite direction, a drain plug could certainly make it easier to get the gunk out. Just shut off the pump and let the few gallons in the bucket flush through the bottom. Thanks for the idea!

Ask a Question