Considering a new pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
my last pump blew a seal last fall. being a bit of a newb i bought a superior 2400 gph pump.
well built pumps. in the manual it states if used for a pond it voids the warranty. that was a surprise
to me because i had called the company and talked to a rep to figure out the size i should get.
for the waterourse and pond.(this was before i came here...)
he was very helpful and told me the one i was considering was a good choice. they never returned my
email after it broke asking them about this "anomaly"

anyways, i'm strongly thinking an exterior pump to remove that vibrational source from the pond.

there is a 13-14 foot head with a 90 ft run. i seem to like a water flow of around 500 gph.

i'm looking at the pondmaster mag-drive 2400 pretty hard which can handle 15 feet of head.

it can be bought for 155. the 1800 handles only 15 feet of head. feels a liitle tight for my needs

though i prefer it's flow rate at the head.

it's similar to danner or supreme hydroponics mag-drive pumps, but is less expensive.

i'm looking for suitable employment at the moment...

and spring is here. yikes! and the bog needs a liner,

and i need rocks, and pea gravel, and plants, and...

any opinions on these brands or other suggestions?

the pondmaster hy-drive is interesting.

thank you

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no doubt an external with a flooded suction works better .
when examining those pumps remember , if it says it is a 2400 very likely that is a _zero_ head,,
with a 15 foot head , a 2400 at zero head would flow +very little+
should be charts available to examine
i got a mag -drive submersible pretty cheap , problem is all the pipe fittings are non standard , up -side is i found a spiffy Dial a flow thing which works on that mag-drive.. not as sensitive as one might wish but yet works ,,
got an 8 K pump dialed down to about 4 K .. ,, works at + like 80 %+ as good as one of those 2500 $ hyper efficient dial a flow things ..
i could look up some links ..
if you have 3k with a substantial fish load standard wants you to flow ,, 3K gallon . ..
maybe this link works to the dial a flow thing
nope .. denied .. search amazon
"
15 Amp Variable Speed Control For Koi Pond & Waterfall Pumps"

i did not put it on the exact pump specified , just a mag drive ,, looked just like it under a different name . different vendor ,pby all china built
i put it on and 8 K gallon pump and dialed down pretty good . like i said the sensitivity of the dial is severely lacking . but it does work

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Look at the energy cost of any pump you are looking at .Remember that you must watch temps out side closely to make sure you take it in on time .I love leaf basket in them but with my strange temps. here I would never know when to bring it in .I have noticed several pumps that say they should not be used in ponds but they say they are pond pumps .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
no doubt an external with a flooded suction works better .
when examining those pumps remember , if it says it is a 2400 very likely that is a _zero_ head,,
with a 15 foot head , a 2400 at zero head would flow +very little+
should be charts available to examine
i got a mag -drive submersible pretty cheap , problem is all the pipe fittings are non standard , up -side is i found a spiffy Dial a flow thing which works on that mag-drive.. not as sensitive as one might wish but yet works ,,
got an 8 K pump dialed down to about 4 K .. ,, works at + like 80 %+ as good as one of those 2500 $ hyper efficient dial a flow things ..
i could look up some links ..
if you have 3k with a substantial fish load standard wants you to flow ,, 3K gallon . ..
maybe this link works to the dial a flow thing
nope .. denied .. search amazon
"
15 Amp Variable Speed Control For Koi Pond & Waterfall Pumps"

i did not put it on the exact pump specified , just a mag drive ,, looked just like it under a different name . different vendor ,pby all china built
i put it on and 8 K gallon pump and dialed down pretty good . like i said the sensitivity of the dial is severely lacking . but it does work

interesting consideration for regulating water flow. i'm kind of feeling i would prefer to use a valve. however, i would not suggest using a valve to slow down water flow by 50%.
if i get the 2400, the flow at 15ft of head is 720 gph. that's about 12 gpm. which may be fine after more rock is added to the course. if i could valve it down 10-20% if needs be, i would like that. regarding water flow, my pump is for a watercourse and a bog or two, not a filtration unit. 3000 gph would be a torrent. i don't wash away the honey bees coming in for a drink during their labours...without knowing the science behind it all, way too many variables for a newb, i'll have to watch and learn. i would hope this flow rate with all the natural biofiltration will be adequate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use ball valves on my pumps but use them to my advantage .One just dumps water in my pond (great aeration )and other one goes into my UV at a slow rate .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i ordered the pondmaster 2400 yesterday from houzz for 153.99 delivered. may it live long and prosper.
my water feed line is 1.5 inch id. the feed from the pump is 1 inch. is physics dictating that i will have less head
with a 1.5 in line than a 1 inch? this pump's max is 18 ft head. i will need almost 15 ft of it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
i ordered the pondmaster 2400 yesterday from houzz for 153.99 delivered. may it live long and prosper.
my water feed line is 1.5 inch id. the feed from the pump is 1 inch. is physics dictating that i will have less head
with a 1.5 in line than a 1 inch? this pump's max is 18 ft head. i will need almost 15 ft of it.

You may actually gain some head with the 1.5 inch line because of the reduced friction loss. Even so, you are pushing the limits of this particular pump.
pondmaster 2400.jpg

At 15 feet head you will only get about 450 gph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You may actually gain some head with the 1.5 inch line because of the reduced friction loss. Even so, you are pushing the limits of this particular pump.
View attachment 97623
At 15 feet head you will only get about 450 gph.

the chart is not consistant with the data posted on pondmaster's web site.
it states that the 2400 has a flow of 720 gph at 15 ft.
i hope they are not embellishing it's capability.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We love sequence and have used them for years. My small sequence is 14 years old and works just fine. Just valve the output and set the outflow you want. The pump will actually use less electricity when restricted. If you are concerned call MDM, Brian Moldenado is the tech guy, and he will be glad to guide you. Remember that the pump must be installed in a position below the waterline in order to charge with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We love sequence and have used them for years. My small sequence is 14 years old and works just fine. Just valve the output and set the outflow you want. The pump will actually use less electricity when restricted. If you are concerned call MDM, Brian Moldenado is the tech guy, and he will be glad to guide you. Remember that the pump must be installed in a position below the waterline in order to charge with water.
i briefly checked sequence. seem like fine pumps. it appeared that they would be out of my price range.

Ask a Question