Considering converting the end of my porch into a pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large covered rectangular porch on the back of my house. The base perimeter wall is cement with an elevation of 16 inches. I would like to convert the far end of the porch into a pond using the existing three walls and then building a forth wall to complete an enclosure for the pond. The width of the porch is 13 feet. So if I build the forth wall about three feet back from the end of the porch, I would have a pond that is 3’ x 13’ x 16 inches which would be about 430 gallons.

I could use a typical pond liner like I have for my back yard pond but I don’t like the folds at the corners. What’s the possibility of coating the existing cement with some sort of epoxy? For example; large aquariums are sometimes made of plywood and coated with epoxy and they don’t leak. Has anyone tried this of something similar?

The picture just shows the area of the porch I’m thinking of using for the porch pond pond.

Attachments

• Porch.jpg
    Porch.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 277

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the fourth (newly constructed) wall is also concrete than, yes is can be sealed with a coating. A marine designated coating would be the best.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the Trump sign, ;) Go trump...

But I also love your idea, so post many pics.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a company that makes liners the size of your pond with out the folds .Similar to what those prebuilt pond liners are like .I think they are in Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
will be good , if u can put some more effort then u can install a glass window that wud b cool

Reaction score
Country
United States
I checked out the above site and like what I see. If I bought one made to order, the Polypro Liner (Regular Strength), with my dimensions would cost $453.00.

Usman: My thoughts exactly. If I built the 4th (front facing) wall using plywood and 2x4’s, then a glass front would be feasible; most likely using two, 6-foot sections of glass. In this case, I would probable using some sort of epoxy throughout. I found an excellent YouTube video on wooden tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I checked out the above site and like what I see. If I bought one made to order, the Polypro Liner (Regular Strength), with my dimensions would cost $453.00.

Usman: My thoughts exactly. If I built the 4th (front facing) wall using plywood and 2x4’s, then a glass front would be feasible; most likely using two, 6-foot sections of glass. In this case, I would probable using some sort of epoxy throughout. I found an excellent YouTube video on wooden tanks.
in google videos , search this *building pond with glass window*

Ask a Question