Considering major changes and need opinions

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am thinking about a major filtration change on one of my koi ponds. I started a project this spring to put covers over my pond to keep leaves as well as predators out. Pond #1 went well, electric plastic conduit hoops installed. Works great!
Pond #2 - There is no way I can use the same setup.
Pond is 10x10 above ground- 5 1/2' deep. Currently have 11 24" window boxes mounted on 3 sides of pond as mini bogs. Spray bar runs over boxes, works great once boxes are established but it takes time and requires a lot of maintenance. If I remove the boxes, I can set up the same hoops as I have over the other pond but I lose the plants. I currently have 150 gal stock tank skippy filter filled with spring-flo as well as a Savio waterfall filter. I can convert the 150 gal skippy to a bog without too much trouble but then I lose the filtration from it. I have looked on line for filters to fit my size pond but the prices are crazy! Don' t want pressure filter, been there, done that.
Any ideas, thoughts, comments appreciated! Getting old and the brain isn't working as well as it used to plus my todo list is getting bigger by the day. Thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have 7 adult koi and 6-10 babies from last year. Babies will be rehomed as well as 1 adult. The pond has done well in the 8+ years. Because of the depth, waterliles have to be hung from sides. The Savio provides good filtration but not enough on its own. The spring-flo and filter pads are also in the stocktank.
Would love to add the bog but losing an actual filter? Not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wouldn't the bog take the place of the skippy filtration if you used the 150 gallon tank, or are you running the skippy year round?

Could you look for window box holders that would hang on the sides of the pond, into the pond....or are the window boxes too much maintenance? I love them BTW :)

I use a Sand & Gravel filter which is a DIY project. It's limitations are it only pulls through 2000 GPH per barrel and you have to figure out a way to hide the ugly barrel.

Having used Savio's spring flo material, I think using the 150 gallon as a mini bog, would give you better filtration.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Stock tank gets used pretty much year round except in extreme cold when we shut everything down. Window boxes have been started for the season but it will be a month or more before they do any good as far as filters. Then in the fall they have to be emptied. Hubby wants me to buy another Savio filter but a $500 pond expense just isn't an option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Stock tank gets used pretty much year round except in extreme cold when we shut everything down. Window boxes have been started for the season but it will be a month or more before they do any good as far as filters. Then in the fall they have to be emptied. Hubby wants me to buy another Savio filter but a $500 pond expense just isn't an option.
@RobAmy found his on Craigslist, which is where I sold mine a couple years ago....a long shot, but you never know. I wonder if copying their design could be a DIY project with a barrel or trash can?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've checked every website looking for one. I have a 55 gallon plactic barrel somewhere here and think it may even be plumbed with a bottom drain. If I can find it and it doesn't leak, I may convert it . Stock tank skippies can be a pain to clean if they get bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The above picture is from the design we used for our sand & gravel filter. Might work for a "bottom" on a DIY filter....just an idea, using cheap parts.

Obviously you wouldn't need to drill the PVC for air bubbles. The "grid" is the same material used for some dog crate bottoms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The above picture is from the design we used for our sand & gravel filter. Might work for a "bottom" on a DIY filter....just an idea, using cheap parts.

Obviously you wouldn't need to drill the PVC for air bubbles. The "grid" is the same material used for some dog crate bottoms.

This sits at the bottom of the barrel, keeping the larger stones off the bottom and we use our blower to backwash the filter.....there is a pipe that extends upwards that's not pictured. I was just showing you this picture as an idea for a DIY Savio filter made from a barrel, to mimic the grating it uses to lift the Spring Flo material from the bottom of their filter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok. good to know. I have new media that I'm going to use to replace the lava rock I have in my barrel filters. I'm thinking the stock tank isn't going to give me the surface area that all the window boxes do but will get more time in spring and fall with an established bog. I'm considering keeping 4 of the window boxes on the back wall with a low volume pump to give the fish some plants for shade and snacks. Picked up pea gravel today as it was on sale. Anybody filled a stock tank with pea gravel? wondering if it will handle the weight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love that you'll leave some of the window boxes, they look so neat and I'm sure the fish love them :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anybody filled a stock tank with pea gravel?
My one stock tank had pea gravel in it before I decided to move it and make it part of the pond system. The 300 gallon one, it did fine.
Wish I could help you with filters, I am filter knowledge poor. All my, now and previous, ponds have been filtered with different sized bogs.

Reaction score
Okay so it sounds like you are trying to get more mechanical filtration to keep the water clearer...correct? If so have you tried putting a filter material in the bottom of the skippy filter? The other option is to run the old quilt batting trick in a barrel every few days. You could also try some different filtering material in the waterfall, something that will remove the smaller stuff.

Ask a Question