Considering UV filter after massive algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Algea problems as seen in this thread....https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/algea-bug-finally-got-me.27986/

Soooooo, I went ahead with a full pond power wash from top to bottom. No chemicals/cleaners, just water. Pond is roughly 900 gallons and I was able to save about 150 gallons and added it back. YES, I know this is not a well liked method around here but the algae was growing so fast and was beginning to completely cover my box filters. The filters were clogging and the flow was heavily restricted.

In addition to adding more plants, I am contemplating a UV filter so I need some advice. When considering the layout of all the plumbing/hoses and wanting to keep all equipment either inside the water itself or hidden along the perimeter, I believe I have 2 options for the actual placement of the UV filter

1)submerged and on the bottom of the pond. UV filter will be placed right after both box filters but before the pump.
-Pros: MUCH more water flow through the filter. Pump is rated for 900GPH with 1" tubing and UV filter would be placed right before the pump inlet
-Cons: submerged. difficult to change the bulb but not impossible (I get in the pond quite often to clean the box filters). Possible leaking seal for light even though some units are rated for submersion

2)placed out of water and plumbed in directly behind the spitting frog.
-Pros: Out of the water, easy bulb changes/maintenance
-Cons: MUCH MUCH less water flow through the frog. The pump exits through the small water fountain in the left of the pic with 1"tubing and T's off to the frog with 1/2" tubing.

There is no option for placing the filter in the waterfall hose

Obviously I would like to filter as much water as possible through the UV which makes the submerged option stand out....BUT....above water behind the frog is soooo much easier.

Will the UV be beneficial enough for my pond placed behind the frog with much less water flow?

Attachments

• 20200908_125448.jpg
    20200908_125448.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200918_131234a.jpg
    20200918_131234a.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200918_131028.jpg
    20200918_131028.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out your pictures. Is the first one before you cleaned the pond or is it a picture of it now? Personally, picture one looks pretty good. I don't see any free-floating algae. The algae coating the rocks etc looks very healthy. You need more, many more plants not a UV sterilizer. The UV will kill any free-floating algae and deposit it all over the bottom. Consider a small bog filter too. A bog filter will do more than a UV. In the meantime, to get rid of string algae, use a new toilet brush and twirl it in the pond. Works great.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More plants would be helpful. Algae is a symptom of a problem, not a problem in itself. UV will only temp. kill the algae. The dead algae will then contribute to the problem of having too many nutrients, resulting in more algae. Please don’t continue to power wash the pond. You are killing off the beneficial bacteria needed to help with the algae and keeping the water healthy for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
UV only helps with suspended algae (pea-soup water) not the kind of stringy stuff you've got growing in picture 1. Honestly, the water looks pretty clear there. As was mentioned in your last thread - you need more plants. It's really as simple as that. No, you're not going to have the 'swimming pool clean' look that your second & third pictures show (I'm assuming that's post power washing?) but it will go a LONG way in getting rid of the excess nutrients that your algae is feeding off of.

Also, if you're feeding those fish, I'd stop that all together. Let them eat gunk! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I know you don't want to hear this, but...
Bio film covering all of your liner, rocks etc. is a neccessary part of your pond's biological balance. It's the good stuff. Never power wash your pond. Now you will be starting all over as if your pond was new and with that comes "new pond syndrome " aka green water.

If you do insist on using a UV light, the water passing through it has to pass slowly in order for the light to kill the algae, so keep that in mind. The light will even kill the good algae, so think of that too.

The ultimate best thing I ever did was to sell my two pressure filters and UV light when I added the bog. I now only filter with the bog. Last year, all of 2019 my water was pea soup green. Even with two pressure filters and the UV light all running together. I built the bog in May of this year. Within a week I had crystal clear water and that has continued ever since. I have not had water this clear in over a decade of ponding. The bog is awesome and there's no cleaning of filters or filter pads ever. No UV lights to maintain....nothing. Just sit back, relax and enjoy your pond.
My pond is definitely overpopulated and the bog still keeps my water crystal clear. My water looks like you can drink it.
So, if you want to save money, have crystal clear water and have zero maintenance, look into a bog. There are many threads here on building one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have to go with the consensus here. I know the clean rocks look pretty, but remember - this is a pond, not a pool. You did have a good algae growth going there, but with so few plants in the pond, nature is going to lend a helping hand and provide a tool for removing the excess waste and keep the fish safe and healthy.

Sorry... I'm sure none of this is what you want to hear, but I think we'd all rather see you avoid the extra cost, work, and frustration of getting that UV installed and then realize it's not going to even touch the algae that you have. When you deal with algae, you want to get rid of it through competition, not by killing it. Dead algae in the pond will only lead to more algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your "algae" is growing on the surfaces in your pond and your water is clear, your pond is healthy. I actually like the look of various moss and other natural growth in and around my pond. These plants help filter the water and should not be disturbed.

If your pond water is a dense green where you can't see a couple inches down, then nature is doing it's job of trying to balance things out. Your imbalance can be corrected by adding more plants. Lots of them.

Nature is providing the (green) algae to feed on the over abundance of nutrients in the water. Those nutrients are a by-product of your fish waste.

Since there are not enough other plants to consume these excess nutrients, nature provides it's own plants, algae. Algae is a plant.

Too much of a fish load (too many fish, fish that are too big for your pond) might be part of the cause [of excess nutrients]. Over feeding can also contribute.

There's a whole natural balance going on behind the scenes. Ponds are not supposed to be hospital clean.

Any cleaning of your filters should be done with water that is not chlorinated. Don't do severe cleaning of your filter, just rinse the pads with pond water in a bucket. There are lots of beneficial bacteria colonized inside your filter that you don't want to kill. It will take weeks for it to recolonize.

Most of the time you don't really need to do much to have a healthy pond. Just supply the required components and let nature do its thing.

All I do is enjoy my fish, plants etc. I don't fuss unnecessarily with anything. Especially since adding the bog filter. I'll net out some leaves from the bottom every Spring and Fall, but that's the extent of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I appreciate and understand everything that is being said. TY.

The super clean pic is after the power-wash.

I really liked the look of the pond with the algae growth on the top rocks and liner. When it started to grow extremely fast on the floor it was growing over the box filters and the flow was being compromised. The pic I posted wasn't the worst of it. The water itself was and has always been clear since I built the pond about 14 months ago

I suppose I was misinformed about a UV filter. I was under the impression it would "clean" the water to the point that would inhibit algae growth. Perhaps not.....(yes I understand that good gunk stuck to the liner is beneficial)

If could do the pump/hose/filter plumbing over again I would not use box filters on the bottom but rather an external filter to access outside the pond. That way I wouldn't care what grew on the bottom but whats done is done.

Re-using some of the water still shows some traces of nitrates in the water and I will be adding some of the aquascape beneficial bacteria to the water. I had good success with it during the initial startup last year.

I guess at this point Ill triple up the plants at a minimum. Is the addition of UV filter really pointless or can I benefit from adding it at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with adding in a UV at this point. Get those additional plants in there, and then add some extras, just for good measure! Perhaps think of some way to redo the filters so they wouldn't be such a P.I.T.A. to clean, when & if necessary.

Then accept & chant this mantra: "It's a pond, not a hot-tub. It's a pond, not a hot-tub. It's a pond, not a hot-tub..." (this is what keeps me sane when the pond is out of whack & I'm feeling frustrated with it)

PS - Having a generous 'adult beverage' in your hand while chanting helps immensely. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wouldn't waste money on store bought "beneficial bacteria " when it will colonize on it's own, but that's me. I have read that the powdered beneficial bacteria is worthless, but I personally can't verify that.

The main thing is that you do what you feel is right. It's your pond and your money. Plus every pond is different and everyone has a different opinion and has had different experiences.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I will make a suggestion that might make life easier...tie thin ropes to your filters, pumps or air stones. Secure the ropes to something on shore. I tie mine around heavy rocks. Now if you want to retrieve the filter box, pump or whatever, just pull them up by the rope. No need to climb into the pond.

I have a bucket with a pump in it covered with lava rock in my pond. A PVC pipe extends out of the pump up to the surface. The handle of the bucket is wired up securely to the vertical pipe coming out of the pump. When I want to pull the bucket out, I use the pole from my pool net. I stick the pole through the handle and lift the bucket out.

So, a little ingenuity and you won't need to get your feet wet. This is especially good when it's cold out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wouldn't waste money on store bought "beneficial bacteria " when it will colonize on it's own, but that's me. I have read that the powdered beneficial bacteria is worthless, but I personally can't verify that.

The main thing is that you do what you feel is right. It's your pond and your money. Plus every pond is different and everyone has a different opinion and has had different experiences.
I know this is a common thought process, opinion, attitude & feeling. I am a proponent of adding beneficial bacteria on a regular basis. I alternate powdered dry & active liquid on a weekly basis. (Muckbuster dry & Microblift Pro, if we want to get specific) It's how I was 'taught to pond' by the Aquascape Pros. It's been a while, but it's always worked for me.

When my water quality/clarity is seeming to deteriorate during the hot summer months, I double up on the BB & it seems to me that things get clearer. Perhaps it's just 'wishful thinking' on my part? Maybe... And, I'm not one to throw money away, but I've witnessed the difference. (OK, it could be happy coincidence. I'm not one to rock the boat on serious potential of benefit)

At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are happy with our own ponds. However they are set up or maintained.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can only say that I used (and am using now) the liquid aquascape starter bacteria during initial fill and post cleaning. I also use weekly the aquascape powder. My water has always been clear after the new pond sydrome ran its course

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are happy with our own ponds. However they are set up or maintained.

So true!

@anthony21078 - is it possible to move the filter to a better/easier location?

I know lots of people swear by the beneficial bacteria - hey, if it works, whatever. I can think of worse ways to spend money. What powder are you using?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I never add anything...period.

My home has central water and it's treated, so I do use a dechlorinator/conditioner when I rarely have to add water. I say rarely because I let nature top off my pond when it rains. I had a couple occasions over the years when I had leaks, so in those cases I had to add water.

Ask a Question