Construction questions

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've started a backyard koi pond project and am looking for some advice on it's construction. The design will be a formal, raised pond (2.5' below ground & 1.5' above). I am about to pour footings which will be roughly on an 8'x4' perimeter. Based on these specs, I am anticipating a 900+ gallon pond. EPDM Liner will be used. My question is, will the "smaller" cement block support this pond or, do I have to move up to a standard size block? In either event, my plan is to use stone veneer to finish the design.

current project state…
http://picasaweb.google.ca/WeBeJesus/KoiPond#

Smaller Blocks…
http://www.themagnolias.co.uk/images/2008/nov/concrete_blocking.jpg

vs. Standard blocks…
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/pond/fs/P1010005.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I've always used the standard blocks for weight bearing applications. 2.5' being backfilled against, it might work. My question would be "How are you going to hold those smaller blocks together?" Maybe if you wrapped them with a heavy metal mesh to both hold your blocks against the water, and anchor your stonework to.

Just to be sure, though,
i'd wrap a steel cable around the blockwork after curing, just to ensure that the water could never push them apart at the top. Put the steel cable, tightly, around the top row of blocks, add mesh, mortar and stone veneer, you should be finer than froghair.

Update us when you get further along. Good luck.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Please if you would post a introducion in the introdution thread. we ask all new members to please do this, Give us some detail of where you live, how long you've been in the hobby, maybe your name, Then if you would lets get your project into one thread, LOTS easier to work work with you and what you have going on. I just looked at your other post on the filter design. Give us all the detail you can and we will try to help. I do see some issues with your filter plan that we can addressed. What you have can be worked with but the way you have it drawn out could have some better planning and tweaking as we should say. Take your time and explore the site. One suggestion is to check out the DYI section too. Lots of good ideas that you may think are ideas you can add in to your project.
Key things you need to know, When starting a pond, Koi need clean water, Koi get big, Koi need good filtration and koi need room to swim. Deeper is better, a good Koi pond needs a depth of 3-5 foot to be stable in PH, temp, and room to actively swim. a 900 gallon pond may work for 6-8 small koi, for a grown koi you will be lucky to house two. So keep this in mind, working with large fish you need to think large.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin this tread is from sept, 2010!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JEEZ! good eye Addy, I wonder how in the world that came up in GET NEW POSTS? That's where I almost always go to check through the site. My bad!

I just saw something, Why is this even here? this is suppose to be in a completely different thread! I saw where others posted in a thread that this is suppose to be in. REALLY WEIRD!

OK, I see now, he has two posts, one from 2010, and one from yesterday. No introduction. Ok, I figured it out now, after going back and forth trying to figure this one out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a block pond with 7 1/2' walls about 2' are above ground.
To be sure you never have a problem make a footer with concrete put rebar in at least one cell oft the bock and extend it into the footer. Then fill each cell with Corette. To save time and money dry stack the block and use Construction adhesive instead of mortar.
I used Loctite PL 375 Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive

Ask a Question