Container Pond for Fry and Babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a 2000 gallon pond with 4 small koi and some goldfish. The goldfish are spawning like crazy and I have hundreds of babies. Looking to set up a container pond to raise the baby koi and goldfish so that I can sell / get rid of them as needed. Anybody else do this? I don't want my main pond to get overcrowded.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nature will take care of many of them for you if you just leave them all in your main pond. Most will not survive to maturity. If you do get overcrowded, you can scoop them out and sell them then.

Of 100s of babies last year, only 1 survived in my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond balanced out, still plenty of water room, but I usually don't feed them. They inhale the eggs. It is a attack when some eggs are dropped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I currently have a 2000 gallon pond with 4 small koi and some goldfish. The goldfish are spawning like crazy and I have hundreds of babies. Looking to set up a container pond to raise the baby koi and goldfish so that I can sell / get rid of them as needed. Anybody else do this? I don't want my main pond to get overcrowded.
About 10 years ago my pond went from 7 to 40 goldfish over a short time. Still have about 40 or 50 goldfish in a much larger pond! The more hungry mouths the less likely any babies will survive. If a few get added in a year it makes up for a few that don’t make it from year to year for whatever reason. Last winter one of my goldfish got stuck in my bog and froze. Unfortunately things happen and everything kinda balances out without any help from us!

Ask a Question