container pond

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon flower pot with parrots feather and a teeny tiny pickerel rush in it and was thinking about putting a fancy goldfish in it. Do you think thats too small? Also is it cruel just to have one fish by itself??

Reaction score
I guess that 1 inch per gallon is BS that the pet stores tell you. I know people that keep fancy goldfish in 30 gallon tanks and the water is crystal clear but being a pond owner it makes me sad for the little guys. And i was wrong its a 30 gallon planter I think 24" in diameter and 16" deep.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't think goldfish would be the best choice, Not sure if you can bring the fish in for the winter or how cold it gets where you are but some other fish suggestions that do well outside and could easily be house in that size container, Golden orfes, Paradise fish, Sailfin mollies, platies, guppies, and Rosey barbs are some of the first to come to mine, I have kept rosey barbs in mine over the winter and they survived all throughout the winter with no problem. filter is the biggest issue with a container pond and no filtration in that small of a container is probably not a good idea especially with goldfish.

Ask a Question