Contemplating building an above ground pond.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What about 3 feet down and 2 feet above? This would give you 5 feet of depth, which is plenty for a koi pond and you wouldn't have so many structural concerns about going higher.
That would work! What's the limit in size, is there a limit?
That is 3 feet above ground. Typically any type of retaining wall structure over 3 feet requires, at minimum, a building permit.
Got it, thank you!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gemma- I have 2 ponds built partially below and above ground. Both were built with pressure treated lumber. one is 11x15, 2-4' deep, the other 10x10x5. We are in zone 7, never had a problem with freezing more than 10" deep. The 10x10 has 4x4 posts every 2 1/2' set in 3' of concrete and we do have some bowing of walls (6" after 6years). It can be done! I would say go all block. Our ponds are 300' from road access and on a hill so moving materials made wood the easy choice. Go for it!
015.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Gemma, I don't think there is a limit on size, with a block pond. I'd plan for something manageable for you :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I built my block above ground pond a couple of years ago. I don't see why you can't excavate and go down as well, providing you but in a good concrete foundation first.

See my showcase for details

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma- I have 2 ponds built partially below and above ground. Both were built with pressure treated lumber. one is 11x15, 2-4' deep, the other 10x10x5. We are in zone 7, never had a problem with freezing more than 10" deep. The 10x10 has 4x4 posts every 2 1/2' set in 3' of concrete and we do have some bowing of walls (6" after 6years). It can be done! I would say go all block. Our ponds are 300' from road access and on a hill so moving materials made wood the easy choice. Go for it!View attachment 102115
Thanks for your reply, you gave me hope!
Gemma, I don't think there is a limit on size, with a block pond. I'd plan for something manageable for you :)
I'm thinking 6 koi, how many gallons do you think I need?

About filtering, what are my best choices? I'm only familiar with skimmer box and waterfalls from kits

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I built my block above ground pond a couple of years ago. I don't see why you can't excavate and go down as well, providing you but in a good concrete foundation first.

See my showcase for details
Thank you! I will look at your showcase after work!
What should I put in/on the blocks to hold it together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is three feet above ground and another
1 1/2 ft dug into the ground for about 54" water depth and built out of retaining wall blocks. They are similar to a regular concrete blocks in the sense they have two webs for reinforcement. Mine is 3000 gallon with 7 large Koi and around 30 3" long babies...... Going great so far

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine is three feet above ground and another
1 1/2 ft dug into the ground for about 54" water depth and built out of retaining wall blocks. They are similar to a regular concrete blocks in the sense they have two webs for reinforcement. Mine is 3000 gallon with 7 large Koi and around 30 3" long babies...... Going great so far
3000gl is what I was hoping to be able to reach, what kind of filtration do you use?
*I'm going to search for showcase pics of your pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 102134 View attachment 102135 View attachment 102136 View attachment 102137 View attachment 102138 Savio skimmer/filter, Savio F100 waterfall/ filter, 3" Easyflo main drain, AquaUtlraviolet 54 watt UV filter and Ultima 6000 filter.
Your pond is a perfect example of what I had invisioned! I'm going to show my husband pics of yours so he too can understand what I'm talking about.
Did you put anything else (sand, cement...), inside the holes where the metal rods are?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your pond is a perfect example of what I had invisioned! I'm going to show my husband pics of yours so he too can understand what I'm talking about.
Did you put anything else (sand, cement...), inside the holes where the metal rods are?
I put a 3/8" reinforcement rod 18"" deep in the ground in each web and then filled with Quickrete , also I buried one block deep in the ground. Then after the wall was complete I put a skim coat of motar so it would be a somewhat smooth surface for the Underlayment and the liner to go agianist.
IMG_4804.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG
IMG_4848.JPG
IMG_4850.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone