Convert or add-on to make falls filter a full on bog/veggie filter?

Reaction score
Hey guys, again I must apologize that I'm not super active here but still frequent the forum for knowledge and ideas. I am coming into the third summer at our "new" house which included a pond. My wife and have enjoyed every minute of the pond that we can during our MI summers.

So the pond has a skimmer and what I may be incorrectly calling a "bio falls" -not sure of the exact brand name etc...I had determined it once researching online. Anyway it consists of a couple of filter mats and 4 mesh bags for bacteria growth (filled with plastic "tape"). So far, in the spring; the mats require about weekly cleaning for the first several weeks the pond is back in action which is understandable after not having had moving water during the winter months (bubbler keeps ice open).

My sort of wish/want is to ease maintenance some while using more plants for filtration. I don't consider myself old yet (35 this weekend!) but honestly dragging those big mats out when they are full takes some effort! Granted after the initial few weeks they can go longer. I have searched here some and in general to get ideas but haven't really come with any outside my own visions. I'm not sure I want completely cut out the falls basin but to go full on bog filter that may be what needs to happen.

I already put some plants in the basin every summer and they do well but the filter mats are still there and need cleaning...I'm not sure if I could get away with completely removing them and trying to fill the basin with plants...and some way to hold them in place in the flow of water. I never found any sort of back flush on the basin so filling it with a media such as pea gravel for plants doesn't seem like a great idea...plus the basin is pretty deep.

My other thought was another "container" for the bog filter that spills into the existing falls but then it seems like it would make more sense to go full bog. I would prefer not to add more pumps but am not afraid to dig and play with plumbing.

The pond is around 2400gals (I've never measured myself, this is according to previous owner). We have 2 Koi and no current plans for more. Around 20 or so total fish, the others consisting of comets, shubunkin, maybe some sarasa.

Has anyone converted something like this or just said to heck with filter media and stuffed the falls full of plants and it was enough to support the pond? Maybe I'm over thinking and should try over loading the falls basin with plants?

Thanks for reading my story LOL.

Reaction score
This was last summer I think, I had another rush on the opposite corner and of the plants in the "floating mix" in the lower left corner nearly grew like crazy and nearly covered the falls surface.
14333718347_801220ec05.jpg

Reaction score
The skimmer is at the opposite end of the pond and feeds the pictured basin from down low near the bottom. So water is flowing up through filter mats, then bio media, then spills back into the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't see why you couldn't turn the entire thing into a bog then. I don't have fish so I always hesitate when it comes to filtering advice. Hopefully others will pipe in on that.

Reaction score
I've thought for a while now I should add a back flush/drain to the basin. Just having that alone might lessen the need to pull the filter mats all the way out for partial cleanings. I still like the bog idea, I'm just concerned about the ability to clean it if I went a more permanent route using the existing basin. Just thinking out loud...I think the basin actually has another "port"/bulkhead? that isn't in use that I could plumb as a drain, although I'm not sure it would be high enough for gravity to pull the water out for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have always had plants in my filters since the beginning .I put a small sump pump in my filter and a hose on it and just plug it in to clean the bottom of the filter

Reaction score
I've used a pump on this basin as well but all the gunk is still under those heavy mats. I'd like to go without mechanical filtration (the skimmer stops most stuff between the leaf net and brushes) and turn it into a mini bog but I'm not sure if it is enough room for the plant mass needed to work well. The water flow is pretty strong more so without media slowing it down so I'm not sure how plants would like that. The basin is also pretty deep so unless I came up with a shelf I may be stuck with floating plants and what I can fit around the lip.

I don't know I was trying to get some ideas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I cut down a big bread holder for the bottom of my tank .I just had to trim the edges of it Got it free from a friend Alex .They work great if you can get hold of one and easy to cut to size with a jig saw

Attachments

• pond 005.JPG
    pond 005.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 264

Ask a Question