Convert swimming pool to natural pool/pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Please do post pictures of the pool area, and we will have a better idea of where / how you can work a bog in. I personally prefer external bog that waterfalls back in; this will not take up any of your swim area, will create a lovely water feature, and allows you to not need to drain the pool in order to build it.
Start by measuring your pool. If it’s say 15 ft by 10 ft, ( length and width), you’ll try for a bog that is 1/3 that total number. 15x10=150/3=50 square feet of bog. That could be a 5ft wide bog along the deep end of the pool, or it could even be built like 2ft wide planter boxes along most of the pool with areas to allow folks in and out along the shallow end and common entrance/ exit points. I like that idea, but only if you have enough outlets and space for each section to have its own pump. I’m not savvy enough to be able to think on how to run plumbing to make it work for all the sections to be on just one pump.
You say your pool is around 20,000 gallons. Can you find out what your pool pump moved per hour? And possibly keep using that pump, for water circulation, just add one or two dedicated pumps for the bog(s).
As I mentioned, but others seem to forget, if your kids are still young and energetic, please hold off on adding fish. There are multiple alternative options to feed the plants that won’t end up harming fish or causing kids to freak out if “Nemo” is found dead after a rambunctious pool party. You haven’t said if they are younger or in their teens. I would consider talking to the kids if they are all 12+, responsible ( or as responsible as kids that age can be) and if they enjoy fish/ nature. If they are, discussing the options of fish and what that limits/ the repricusions of what might happen , are things you as a parent and they as developing individuals should cover prior to getting any fish. In nature, fish can flee far away from loud noises, and the natural dirt/ mud banks absorb sound waves better than concrete and tile. In a pool, the jumping and splashing could frighten fish to a point that they refuse to come out of their chosen hiding spot, or even end up dead.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me here! Really appreciate it.

The pool is under full sun (>8 hours in summer and it's pretty hot here!). I am attaching the picture of the pool area below:
IMG_9979.JPG

The shallow end has only ~5 inches maybe, then it goes from 4 ft to 6ft. Below is the approximate measurement:
pool.jpg

I am thinking of either to do a partition bog in the pool, or do a raised bog on the shallow end. Which one would require less work? Please let me know any suggestions.

The pump we currently have is Sta-rite intellipro variable speed pump. I read that the pool pump is not good for pool as it hurts plants and fish? Otherwise I am fine with keeping the pool pump and just adding extra pond pump for the bog.

My kids are still young (5 and 8). They do not jump, but is the splash/kicking from swimming too loud and big already? Honestly fish is something I haven't thought about much yet, as I'm still thinking about how to clean up the water (all the dirty green with lots of particles) and where/how to build the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
................................................ O M G..............................................................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
What a nice pool @sherry and I would definitely want to keep it for swimming!
Thank you! I want to keep it for swimming too, but I really hate to add chemicals to the pool or smell the chlorine. We have quite some health issues and I don't want to add more toxin load to our body.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS OR HOW FAR YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS BBBBBBUUUTTTTTTT..... you have a backyard made for a natural swim pond and bog .........
the old jucuzzi is your bog but i would put a liner in it build up some boulders at the face of the jacuzzi and have the water fall into the pool or make a couple drops into the pool but do not make the falls straight on to each other to the eye have one turned a little left the other to the right . and that magnificent little hill a stream coming down that omg i would love to have that as my canvas to create my next pond..........
omg.jpg
my net pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sorry... did I do anything wrong?
not at alll im drulling over your raw pallet to build a incredible backyard for what you would spend the return could be incredible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
i DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS OR HOW FAR YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS BBBBBBUUUTTTTTTT..... you have a backyard made for a natural swim pond and bog .........
the old jucuzzi is your bog but i would put a liner in it build up some boulders at the face of the jacuzzi and have the water fall into the pool or make a couple drops into the pool but do not make the falls straight on to each other to the eye have one turned a little left the other to the right . and that magnificent little hill a stream coming down that omg i would love to have that as my canvas to create my next pond.......... my net pond
I see what you are talking about... It's not a jucuzzi; it was a concrete platform for gazebo (we took down the gazebo). It's big and has quite some distance from the pool. The picture you drew looks very beautiful, but seems to require lots of work, and I don't have that much budget... Any other easier way of having a smaller pond/bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here's a link to my add-on bog build. Maybe it will help you.
Mine is based on and inspired by addy's extensive bog showcase.
It's surface area is a little over 30% of the pond's surface area. It keeps my overpopulated pond crystal clear. Those fish just keep multiplying!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok .. if the gazebo base is set back thats ok You should have at least 28" from the pool decking to the gazebo base and it looks like another 12" from the pool deck to the water level at the end of the pool . You have alot to work with and for a lot less effort and cost then some , LIKE ME as i had to build up my area 6 feet just to get a foot or drop. You can use that area as one of your walls if it was built securely. If it's not real strong then i would just build the raised bog between the pool and the gazebo base. I' d even add a layer or two of 4X4 above the gazebo for extra height fort filtration and additional height for over flow prevention as well as more of a drop into the pool. Building a wooden box / raised bog is a lot cheaper then it is hauling in boulders and buying rocks. how far back in the gazebo base? 8 feet? the little stream on the left can be easier and cheaper to build then you may think as theres no deep digging involved and your just diverting water where you want it to go mother nature will do the rest. your not holding back any weight of water and the rocks needed to hide the rubber can be thin turned so they look like larger boulders . but were placed by hand with little effort.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Here's a link to my add-on bog build. Maybe it will help you.
Mine is based on and inspired by addy's extensive bog showcase.
It's surface area is a little over 30% of the pond's surface area. It keeps my overpopulated pond crystal clear. Those fish just keep multiplying!

Thank you very much for the link. The pictures are clear. I finally have some idea now how to build a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Ok .. if the gazebo base is set back thats ok You should have at least 28" from the pool decking to the gazebo base and it looks like another 12" from the pool deck to the water level at the end of the pool . You have alot to work with and for a lot less effort and cost then some , LIKE ME as i had to build up my area 6 feet just to get a foot or drop. You can use that area as one of your walls if it was built securely. If it's not real strong then i would just build the raised bog between the pool and the gazebo base. I' d even add a layer or two of 4X4 above the gazebo for extra height fort filtration and additional height for over flow prevention as well as more of a drop into the pool. Building a wooden box / raised bog is a lot cheaper then it is hauling in boulders and buying rocks. how far back in the gazebo base? 8 feet? the little stream on the left can be easier and cheaper to build then you may think as theres no deep digging involved and your just diverting water where you want it to go mother nature will do the rest. your not holding back any weight of water and the rocks needed to hide the rubber can be thin turned so they look like larger boulders . but were placed by hand with little effort.
The gazebo base is about 10' from the pool deck. I hesitate about building the bog on the gazebo base, as then a too big area, both the pool deck and the gazebo base, would be covered in water/rocks. I would prefer to build the bog on the pool deck right by the pool; do you think it makes sense?
I am looking at the pool and thinking of 4 possible locations for the bog:
pool.jpg

A, the pool deck close to the gazebo base. It would be a C shaped bog. The pool size is about 18x24, so bog should be about 18x8=144. The pool deck has just about that size.
B. there is some space there, but probably would be a secondary bog if A doesn't work well.
C. The shallow end of the pool. Is it possible to build a bog there? Good thing is the bog would be still in the pool but also above the pool. But the bog would sits in water.
D. We actually have an old gazebo (7'x7') in this location, which is about 20' away from the pool. The size is a bit small, and the difficulty is how to move the water from the bog to the pool (across trees and pool deck).

A seems to be the best in my opinion. How do you think? Then the next question is how to build the raised bog, using cinder block or wood or any other option? Cinder block seems easier to me as I am not that handy. If there are detailed instructions on how to build it that would be great.

Please let me know any suggestions. Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For me and my construction skills for what you have drawn I would go for the A BUT TO BUILD AS YOU HAVE DRAWN IS not easy nor would it be cheap but in the long run it gives you a path behind the bog for kids to run past from one side to the other but does it take away the deep end for diving ?

I would still lean toward building it within the gazebo base cut the center floor out and build a raised bog inside it make the falls come over the edge of the bog :"approximately 30 inches at a minimum " nice height " run across the pool deck and making a nice stream and make a little bridge to span over the stream to the pool where you have another 1 foot water fall Priceless. .

The bog rule of thumb is 30% of the pools surface so around 8 feet by 18 feet If you go to you tube you can watch hundreds of videos on building streams and bogs. there aren't manty specifically on one or the other but they all have to same principles.

Coming from the other gazebo could be interesting but to have the falls looking at you as you sit on the patio is priceless.
20' feet away might seem and look like a lot but when you build a stream in that length it seems short. coming between the trees can definitely make the entire set up look like it is all a natural wonder in your back yard.

I would save the shallow end for lilies `and some other choice plants to grow 3 inches is very shallow for a bog you would need to build it up and i wouldn't want to block the view to the pool particularly with kids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
For me and my construction skills for what you have drawn I would go for the A BUT TO BUILD AS YOU HAVE DRAWN IS not easy nor would it be cheap but in the long run it gives you a path behind the bog for kids to run past from one side to the other but does it take away the deep end for diving ?

I would still lean toward building it within the gazebo base cut he center floor out and build a raised bog inside it make the falls come over the edge of the bog :"approximately 30 inches at a minimum " nice height " run across the pool deck and making a nice stream and make a little bridge to span over the stream to the pool where you have another 1 foot water fall Priceless.
Yes, that's one reason that I would like to keep the gazebo base as my kids love to run from one side to the other :) Plus they do not dive, they just float or swim.

I am here with a partner who is against the conversion. So I am trying very hard to minimize the extra work and modification to the existing landscape. Maybe I can start by building a small bog first and show the benefit (of not adding chemicals to clear up the water yet can still swim), then maybe extra ones could be built later. So any suggestions on how to make the first simple one possible would be greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your easiest to build is B very simple to build anyone with the most basic of construction skills could build it there

Ask a Question