Converting a pool sand filter to bead filter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thinking of converting a pool sand filter to a bead filter for your pond?
this is how i converted a "Doughboy" sand pool filter to a swirl bed bead filter. now this is biological only this way.
001 (2).JPG

i'll be doing the one on the right next.
first I removed the internal water diverter and cut it down. this is the piece I cut off...
001.JPG

I cut that off so I could install the swirl assembly..
the piece is 1&1/2"diameter, so a 1&1/2" female elbow fits right on. I used a stainless steel screw to mount it. the 2, 90*s are glued together.
002.JPG

the top pictured plumbing piece is the one I cut off, leaving enough for mounting the elbow assembly .
heres the assembly mounted...
005.JPG

this assembly will create the swirl or vortex effect. the bottom pipe receiver in picture is for the upflow output pipe.
this is the upflowing outlet pipe and slotted inlet.
008.JPG

the original slots are thin enough to keep sand from making it thru..snip out some of the framing between them to allow for more flow, and less chance of clogging. this is it with enlarged openings.
007.JPG

notice how thin the tapered slots are. these slots and the having to push the water thru sand is why pool sand filters require higher pressure pumps, no sand, and the larger slots allow pond pumps to function with the filter nicely.
now this pic is the filter reassembled with a piece of light grid on its top to keep the media up and a nice open area around the inlet casing for the output plumbing...
009.JPG

I'm using 1&1/2" biospheres in this one so the grating doesn't need to be cut real exact..if I was K1 or K2 I would have been more exact. but none will get by.
this is the filter with some of the media I will be using...
010.JPG

this media, like K1 is of positive buoyancy. so it will tend to float. but as it gets colonized with bacteria it will become neutrally buoyant and swirl around the filter canister, creating a moving bed. making it semi-self cleaning and aiding in a stronger bacterial colonization.
* NOTE: this is intended as a biological filter only. you could fill the bottom with something like peagravel up to the top of output inlet casing to work as an added static bed, and maybe catch some particulates. but as a bio only filter the water pumped thru should be as mechanically cleaned as possible... thanks for looking. hope it helps.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
May have to try this since I have my sisters old pool filter and pump .Does the top where the pipe comes out need anything special done to it

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that pipe sticking up is the upflowing outlet plumbing...it just slides into the center pipe receiver. the receiver is the part in the center of the top of the filter canister... the one without the swirl assembly... see pic #4... the center pipe will slide right up in it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Oh.. this is keep from losing media if and when it needs back flushing...
003.JPG

plastic hardware fencing cut to fit inside elbow end..pinched in tight with the piece of pipe enxtension on swirl assembly.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never looked inside the one I have to even see what it looks like

Reaction score
Country
United States
is the swirl vortex effect necessary? can I simply just add bio media and widen the gaps on the lateral?

Reaction score
Keep in mind that without something to filter the dirt this is only a small biological filter. It's a nice compact filter thoiugh.

Ask a Question