Converting a Swimming Pool into a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I was looking into making a pond for Koi. I have never had a pond before, and was wondering if converting a pool would be a good idea?

The way my yard is, doesn't allow me to put a pond in my front yard because of the set drain lines, and my back yard is so low, it floods constantly, but I have an above ground pool out back that I was thinking of converting into a pond. The pool is a 16x4, I believe 8600ish gallons.

My main concerns are water changes, as I am on county water (has a relatively high chlorine level), a pump strong enough to filter something this size, and if the pool liner(white and blue checkered pattern) is ok or if I would need to buy a pond liner.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as like I said before I'm new to all of this. I will definitely be doing more research before I commit to anything as well, not to mention, it's November so it's not really the ideal time to start a koi pond.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Do you freeze in winter?

No location is mentioned other than "US".

Big difference between Florida & Alaska.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you freeze in winter?

No location is mentioned other than "US".

Big difference between Florida & Alaska.
Winters here (NC) are cold but not always frozen. We do get snow, but weather is so bipolar, it's hard to say lol.

Last edited:

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
An above-ground pool for the purpose of a fish pond, to me as a contractor, is inadvisable and a job I would turn down and cation against. I wouldn't even quote on it.

Investigate alternate plans with a local waterscaping company to address your slope, suggest alternatives and offer solutions. A slope, or even a "sunken" back yard can be remedied with a proper plan. Gambian cages come to mind immediately. If you don't want to hire anyone, at least pay for a surveyance and a plan for near-levelling, enough to accommodate an in- ground feature.

Spend your dollars wisely on something that will last, be accretive to your property and will provide long-term enjoyment vs. immediate results (that ultimately won't stand the test of time).

Building twice costs fives times as much as doing it right the first time.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live in VA near the NC border and know what you mean about the winters .We are supposed to be 70 degrees thanksgiving day .Like said above commercial grade pools are made heavier duty .Where you pool is at is not level area .I know the pool filter is of no use

Reaction score
Country
United States
An above-ground pool for the purpose of a fish pond, to me as a contractor, is inadvisable and a job I would turn down and cation against. I wouldn't even quote on it.

Investigate alternate plans with a local waterscaping company to address your slope, suggest alternatives and offer solutions. A slope, or even a "sunken" back yard can be remedied with a proper plan. Gambian cages come to mind immediately. If you don't want to hire anyone, at least pay for a surveyance and a plan for near-levelling, enough to accommodate an in- ground feature.

Spend your dollars wisely on something that will last, be accretive to your property and will provide long-term enjoyment vs. immediate results (that ultimately won't stand the test of time).

Building twice costs fives times as much as doing it right the first time.
Well of course you would turn it down if you're a contractor, there's no work for you in it, and we all know it's all about the money.

The yard isn't level but the pool is. When we set it up, we built the pools foundation up with sand, and concreted the legs, so it's definitely not going anywhere. As a matter of fact, it's been through several hurricanes and never moved.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The way I was looking at it, is how is an above ground pool any different in concept, as an above ground pond? I personally know of several shops using above ground ponds, and works just fine.

Obviously, I'm going to need a better pump, but that's the least of my worries.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oh, of course it's "all about the money".........never mind that the idea isn't sound and that the end result wouldn't be something that I'd be particularly proud of............I'd just like the "money"..............that's of course why I suggested having your land surveyed and the installation of Gambian cages...............something that would be of minimal cost to you as you yourself could do the work as the homeowner and would vastly improve your project.

If you're determined to use an above-ground pool as a fish pond, then by all means use an above-ground pool as a fish pond. It matters not to me.

But when you come onto a pond chat room asking for advice and opinions, and then get advice and opinions that you don't like, or differ in opinion from........

Question: Are you going to use the existing above-ground pool sand filter as your primary means of filtration?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, of course it's "all about the money".........never mind that the idea isn't sound and that the end result wouldn't be something that I'd be particularly proud of............I'd just like the "money"..............that's of course why I suggested having your land surveyed and the installation of Gambian cages...............something that would be of minimal cost to you as you yourself could do the work as the homeowner and would vastly improve your project.

If you're determined to use an above-ground pool as a fish pond, then by all means use an above-ground pool as a fish pond. It matters not to me.

But when you come onto a pond chat room asking for advice and opinions, and then get advice and opinions that you don't like, or differ in opinion from........

Question: Are you going to use the existing above-ground pool sand filter as your primary means of filtration?
Gotta love the internet

As I have already stated above, of course not. Included pool filters barely filter a clean pool, much less one with fish lol.

And why exactly wouldn't the end product be sound?

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Gotta love the internet

As I have already stated above, of course not. Included pool filters barely filter a clean pool, much less one with fish lol.

And why exactly wouldn't the end product be sound?

In reviewing this thread, you mentioned only that you were concerned with requiring a larger pump, hence my question regarding the use of the sand filter. As you had stated that you had no experience with ponds, I merely offered the benefit of my experience.

I personally find the idea of a completely- above ground pond (where one would actually need to climb to a deck to observe the fish), to be strange. There are, of course, pond constructions where a portion of the pond is above-ground and a portion below, but the concept of a pond completely above-ground seems just a bit strange to me, but those are my tastes.

Do what you will with the above-ground pool. I think that you'll find the cost of upgrading the liner to EPDM, replacing the pump and the filtration unit (purchase or build), the plumbing alterations, etc. would be equal to or only slightly more than the survey of the property in question, the "levelling" with Gambians (which will drain naturally) and the install of a pond that you could actually look down into, rather than something that you need to climb up to look into.

These are merely my thoughts and my opinion.

To each his own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Well of course you would turn it down if you're a contractor, there's no work for you in it, and we all know it's all about the money.

Your presence here is going to be limited if that's your attitude.

In case you missed the obvious, morewater is a professional contractor that is giving you excellent FREE advice.

Good grief.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In reviewing this thread, you mentioned only that you were concerned with requiring a larger pump, hence my question regarding the use of the sand filter. As you had stated that you had no experience with ponds, I merely offered the benefit of my experience.

I personally find the idea of a completely- above ground pond (where one would actually need to climb to a deck to observe the fish), to be strange. There are, of course, pond constructions where a portion of the pond is above-ground and a portion below, but the concept of a pond completely above-ground seems just a bit strange to me, but those are my tastes.

Do what you will with the above-ground pool. I think that you'll find the cost of upgrading the liner to EPDM, replacing the pump and the filtration unit (purchase or build), the plumbing alterations, etc. would be equal to or only slightly more than the survey of the property in question, the "levelling" with Gambians (which will drain naturally) and the install of a pond that you could actually look down into, rather than something that you need to climb up to look into.

These are merely my thoughts and my opinion.

To each his own.
And I appreciate your responses, but points you are trying to make, such as having to climb a deck really isn't that big a concern, as we would have to do so to swim in it anyway. My neighbors and I are in the lowest part of our area (Other nearby neighborhoods drain into our back yard in event of heavy rain),so it would have to be built up significantly, not that couldn't be done, but I'm not a rich guy by any means.

I thank you for your advice, even though we don't see eye to eye.

Ask a Question