addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you don't like it in the bog it is very easy to yank out, the roots are shallow, same with the stream. I move it around off and on. Mainly to keep the stream from blocking up, I then take that nice clump of jenny and stick is somewhere else. I do have some growing along side the pond in the rocks (self planted) it does float out into the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's funny - here they sell the green variety as "creeping Charlie". Creeping Jenny is yellow. I have both varieties in and around my pond - it grows well just about anywhere it lands, but it's not what I would call invasive. It's easy to thin out and transplants beautifully - like addy said, just yank it up and stick it somewhere else. Try some at the edges of your pots in your floating islands - it will grow over the edge and into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good idea. I will put some in this afternoon. I would imagine the frogs would love it as a hideout.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Old Thread, New Subject.
There was a juniper bush growing very nicely on the side of the "Inn" that filled an area quite nicely. It had to of been thirty + years old, and a "request" was made to remove it. although I was reluctant, I complied, and after three hours of cutting and digging it was out. It was growing out of bounds, and if it was trimmed it had awful looking bare area's so a change was in order. Taking the juniper out left a 10'X10' prime piece of real estate for some new construction.

Here was an opportunity to create a privacy fence for Climbing Hydrangea's, Clematis, ("climb-at-us"), Wisteria, plus a place for hanging baskets, and perhaps a small rock garden with nooks and crannies filled with little surprises. To create all of the facets my mind's eye saw, I realized one wall wasn't going to be enough. So, how about two walls? And if they happen to be parallel, we could put rafters on them and call it a pergola!

Here's the progress so far......

DSC01043.JPG DSC01045.JPG DSC01061.JPG DSC01064.JPG

Still have a lot to do, but don't really have an end-vision yet. In the last photo, the rafters are just sitting on the top until I decide how many more to put up, (one or two with the appropriate spacing.)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! The deer keep my junipers groomed down, they do a total munch job in the winter on them.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice. Don't you love it when projects keep increasing in scope. I go outside to weed and before you know it I am redoing a rock wall or building a new path or transplanting plants...... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Very nice. Don't you love it when projects keep increasing in scope. I go outside to weed and before you know it I am redoing a rock wall or building a new path or transplanting plants...... :)
Thank you. I do enjoy adding/changing things. When I sit and just look around I can't help but think...."you know, if I do such and such, I could........" and so it continues. I should have named the area "Therapy" .

Thank you Michey!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Almost done! Here's a couple photos of the work in progress, and a couple of where we stand today. Still have to sort out what's going on the "floor", but that will depend on the rock garden, and where the plants go.
DSC01088.JPG DSC01089.JPG DSC01090.JPG
In the photo below, the rocks behind the structure will be brought closer and a few smaller ones added for the rock garden. Clematis, hyacinths, and wisteria will be trained to the posts and the overhead. There is a wisteria on the fence adjacent to the "Annex" that I'd like to incorporate in this as well.
DSC01112.JPG DSC01120.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh goodness, I'm in love!!! Build me one too please?!?!?!?

:LOL::LOL: Sure! I'd be happy to! You should know that anything I build is rated "LOKA 20" though. I'll build it for you here, mark it A to A, B to B, etc then ship it down to you.
I see you're in the burbs of the asylum. I spent my first thirteen years in Silver Spring.

("LOKA 20" means "Looks OK At 20 feet")

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:LOL::LOL: Sure! I'd be happy to! You should know that anything I build is rated "LOKA 20" though. I'll build it for you here, mark it A to A, B to B, etc then ship it down to you.
I see you're in the burbs of the asylum. I spent my first thirteen years in Silver Spring.

("LOKA 20" means "Looks OK At 20 feet")
HA!!!! I'll take what I can get at this point ;-)

As it just so happens, I'm in Silver Spring! I've been kicking around Montgomery County for most of my life but have been in SS for the last 5 years. Do you remember much about this area during your "formative years"? Downtown SS is a-changing, but everything else still feels very burby and neighborhoody.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
HA!!!! I'll take what I can get at this point ;-)

............... Do you remember much about this area during your "formative years"? .

I'm becoming a senior citizen, but I still remember ........um.....what was the question? Oh, yeah! SS! If you leave the old Hecht building, go out Colesville road, you'll go past Mrs Kay's Toll House, across Sligo Creek, and pretty soon come to Lieghton Ave. Turn right, go to the first through st. That should be Worth Ave. turn left and 9407 was the number. Strangely, our phone number was "Shepard 9407". When I was there Colesville Rd was a two lane road. When you got to Four Corners, that's exactly what it was with a stop sign...not even a light. Bladensburg Rd was also just two lanes and wasn't split by the church. I went to Montgomery Jr High until we left, and would have gone to Blair HS. There used to be a bowling alley at Four Corners where I worked when I could setting pins. There was no automatic pin setters then. We'd run two alleys, set the pins then hop out of the pit before the ball came. A lot of things come back to me, but we left there in '56. The last time I was back there, the streets were smaller, the houses closer, and only one family was still there that I knew. Within a block there were no less than eight to ten kids, (a couple from Baden St.) and during the summer we'd play hide and seek, in winter we'd sled down the middle of the street. We walked to school and there was a dress code then. One day I forgot to put on my belt, (a requirement,) I got busted sometime middle morning during a class change, and was sent home to get it. I walked home, and as I was going up the steps, mom came out the front door, handed me my belt and said "Better get going." No rest for the weary!

Ask a Question