Converting fish pond to people pool

Reaction score
Country
United States
Requesting input on approach to using a 1933 in-ground concrete fish pond to a cooling-off pool for people. Specifically, I'd like to use an above ground pump and filter system with a type of suction influent hose that doubles as a vacuum cleaner, with a small cascade at the effluent end. Wishing to avoid a submersible pump for safety and space reasons. Holes will not be cut through the concrete walls. This doesn't have to be fancy or to conventional standards - if algae grows and the water gets dirty, we'll simply clean, drain and refill with fresh tap water. Eventually it may revert fish pond. I calculate volume at about 1,700 gallons. Any ideas, comments, recommendations, directions are appreciated. Pics attached are from temporary solution in summer 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.JPG
    IMG_3062.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7010.JPEG
    IMG_7010.JPEG
    175.6 KB · Views: 33

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659902195212.gif
@MchlG
Algae shouldn't be a problem if you treat it as a swim pool using pool chems.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Not sure, but it seems to me that constantly replacing 1700 gallons of water is excessive, vs treating and filtering the water. In a pond, plants help keep algae. Hopefully someone here can answer your question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look up info on swimming ponds. I feel if the water was kept suitable for fish, it should be suitable for a soak. Maybe additional aeration etc...

Ask a Question